Wanna Be Piggy Owner - What Hutch & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzhe123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I'm seriously thinking about getting two guinea pigs. I've been doing my research and I'm somewhat overwhelmed when it comes to hutches. It would be easier if I could go somewhere to look at hutches but the only place I've found was pets at home and they had v few and the looked a bit draughty. Has anyone bought one they'd specifically recommend. I saw this one on zoo plus. http://t.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches/hutches_runs/outback_hutches/261319
What do you think? Would it be ok?

My next question is what pairing do you think is best? I was thinking two females.

Next is what do you put down in the bottom of the hutch? I know they need hay to eat/make a bed but what about the rest of the hutch?

Hi and welcome to the forum. It is great you are doing research before getting guinea pigs. Will they be outside? If so they need a heated shed as they cannot cope just in a hutch. I find guinea pigs are much happier indoors were they can really be part of the family. They get to know you better too.

Two females is fine as is two males. This rescue locater will tell you where your nearest rescue is.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

By going to a rescue you will be certain of a bonded pair,healthy, not pregnant and correctly sexed. You will also be giving unwanted guinea pigs a loving home.

My favourite bedding is vetbed but fleece is popular too. I am not sure if they can be used for outside though.

Mine are in c&c cages in my spare room.Is keeping them inside not an option for you?You get so much more out of them .In the winter they will need either brought in or put in a heated shed.They can go outside in good weather .

We had our rabbit indoors but his hay etc triggered my allergies at close quarters. Our garage is heated so they could go there in the winter. It's more of a room than a garage. Our conservatory is also heated. Would they be ok there? I know we'd get a lot more out them if they were indoors but I don't think it would work for us. It's my dilemma. I don't know whether if they have to be outside I shouldn't get any at all.

If you are allergic is it wise to get guinea pigs? How will you handle them? I do not want to upset you but it will be quite difficult for you.

The allergies just meant I had constant blocked nose. It wasn't respiratory related or a rash or anything. We thought it was just my hay fever as it was only really noticeable in the summer. We didn't realise it was the rabbit until he unfortunately passed away following a reaction he had to a general anaesthetic for an abscess. I've been fine handling other rabbits so I'm pretty sure we'd be fine. Not that I'm saying a rabbit is the same. You know what I mean.

Sure. I understand. Have you ever handled guinea pigs? Maybe you could visit a rescue and spend time with the guinea pigs to see if you have a reaction?

I have but it was a long time ago. I will definitely do that before I decide on anything.

is the garage used for a car and does it have a window and ventilation?

Mine were in a hutch in our garage over winter, the garage isn't heated but with lots of hay and snuggle pads at night they were fine. Now in a heated shed to give them more space. If I moved them in the house apart from the dogs going crazy my sister would never be able to visit as she has an instance bad reaction to hay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back