Vitamins

Tiamolly123

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have severely cut down my piggy’s fresh food, I was feeding them far to much, I give them 1 piece of parsley & 1 piece of celery (2”) in length. Every day.
1 plum tomato, 2 thin pieces of cucumber, 3 thin pieces of pepper & 3 small leaf’s of baby leaf salad & about 10 tiny twigs of beetroot.
I know this is still to much, & i’m cutting, further every couple of days, no dry food. What should I cut down, further. What is the most nutritious.
I should know this but i’m having a blonde moment this month or maybe a year.

Is this between two or per pig? It doesn’t sound hugely too much at all. Youre aiming for around one cup of veg per day.
I personally would cut the parsley and tomato, offering them only once a week as a treat due to the calcium and acidity.
Mine get - each - a lettuce leaf, a chunk of cucumber, a chunk of pepper, and several sprigs (probably five) of coriander every day (I tend to give more herbs than is on the sample plate in the feeding guide), and often something else of whatever I’ve got it in my fridge (a green bean, a small strip of spring greens, some broccoli, celery leaves (they tend to prefer the leaves to the stem) etc - these are more in rotation though rather than part of daily)

Honestly that's nothing. If it makes things easier for you, weigh out 50g of veg for each pig (150g total as you have 3 pigs).

Here's what I feed
Chunk of pepper (any colour)
green beans
Coriander
Celery
Cucumber
Romaine lettuce

On top of this I will add whatever else is in the fridge like radish, watercress, fennel. Once a week I may give carrot/parsnip/swede/kale/spinach but no more than once a week

Or put veg into a cup measure (the guide is 50g or one cup per pig per day - the differing veg densities will obviously Make a difference but it’s not something to get completely hung up on) with three piggies you should be giving around three cups worth of veg per day.
To be honest, I think I tend to feed a little more than the recommended one cup per pig per day but I also don’t measure it out either - I have a bowl which i mix and put their veg into to carry it out to the shed and if I remember rightly came to approx three cups worth but I don’t quite fill it for my two piggies so they are more likely to be be getting just over a cup each but no more than a cup and a half each.

Back