Vitamin C

Kellykels

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've heard that Guinea pigs can get all of their vitamin c needs if they have the correct diet.
However others argue that a supplement is needed.
Also there's a debate whether or not to use vitamin c drops in water, some say that the drops cause the water to be less desirable for the guinea pigs and therefore make it less likely for the guinea pigs to drink.

I have heard others say that vitamin c tablets can be administered daily. I'm not sure I've seen any around, I have definitely seen the drops.

What do other guinea pig owners think of this or does it depend on the guinea pigs' preference?

I have never given vitamin supplements
to my lot and they are healthy. As long as you give a daily diet of unlimited hay around 5-10% veg and 5% pellets they should be fine. One of the guides at top of the page gives an example of a balanced diet but can't link it in for you as I on my phone.

Spot on advice from Betsy :)

Also there's a debate whether or not to use vitamin c drops in water, some say that the drops cause the water to be less desirable for the guinea pigs and therefore make it less likely for the guinea pigs to drink.

That is correct :nod:

I have never given vitamin supplements
to my lot and they are healthy. As long as you give a daily diet of unlimited hay around 5-10% veg and 5% pellets they should be fine. One of the guides at top of the page gives an example of a balanced diet but can't link it in for you as I on my phone.

Sorry to ask but are there any indications if they do not get enough vitamin c. Just to look out for. :) I just want to ensure I'm feeding properly. I've not got any guinea pigs yet since I'm waiting on my c and c cage.

Vitamin C degrades quickly when exposed to light, so I've never understood why anyone would recommend putting it in water bottles, unless they were made of tinted glass or stainless steel.

Most vets in my country recommend Vitamin C drops administered with a syringe. This is an effective way to ensure the piggy has adequate supply of Vitamin C, but I firmly believe it's either unnecessary, or potentially harmful. Good diet offers sufficient dietary Vitamin C to a healthy piggy. On the other hand, overdosing with synthetic Vitamin C has been implicated in early-onset arthritis and auto-immune disorders in piggies, rabbits and chinchillas. Coincidence or not, I supplemented my boar with Vitamin C daily (per vet recommendation and correct dosage), and he has arthritis at the age of 2.5 years. I'd now only supplement with Vitamin C drops only ill piggies or piggies that are off veggies.

Sorry to ask but are there any indications if they do not get enough vitamin c. Just to look out for. :) I just want to ensure I'm feeding properly. I've not got any guinea pigs yet since I'm waiting on my c and c cage.
If you follow advice above your piggies will be nice and healthy. Years ago when I had my Rainbow Piggies I didn't even know that lack of vitamin C could cause scurvy and they were fine with a balanced diet. Don't worry about it I'm sure they'll be fine, but since you asked about it here is the link.

Guinea Lynx :: Scurvy -- Vitamin C Deficiency

If you follow advice above your piggies will be nice and healthy. Years ago when I had my Rainbow Piggies I didn't even know that lack of vitamin C could cause scurvy and they were fine with a balanced diet. Don't worry about it I'm sure they'll be fine, but since you asked about it here is the link.

Guinea Lynx :: Scurvy -- Vitamin C Deficiency

Oh Guinea Lynx! Yes, I've been on this page a lot these last couple of days! :)

I'm weighing up different options. :) Thanks everyone for your input. I'll keep up a good diet and add supplements if they start to show any symptoms of deficiency.

Feed Bell Pepper daily, high in vit C and piggies really like it

Back