• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Vitamin C

Status
Not open for further replies.

1sttimepiggie

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
I`m a new Guinea Pig owner and would like to know if anyone give they`re piggies Vitamin C tables, or if you give the Vitamin C any other way?
If so, when do you give it to them?

Thanks O0

Annette

A guinea pigs diet should be 80% hay, 15% veggies and 5% dry food.

They need a variety of fresh vegetables daily (have a look at the shopping list in the food section for ideas ;)) and also a good quality dry food with vitamin C.

If they get the above then the vitamin c tablets/drops for the water are not needed. Infact putting the drops into the water can make the piggies not want to drink it.

I have heard that vitamin C tablets in their water taste funny so the drink less, which is not good.

A plentiful supply of fresh fruit and veg is the best way of getting vitamin C into them. O0

I asked this question before and was told by many people not to put the drops in the water - the Vit C doesn't last long in water, you have to change it daily, you can't tell how much Vit C each piggy is getting etc. Most people just said to give plenty of fruit and veg and the piggies get their Vit C supply from that. Also most dry mixes and pellets have an adequate sustainable level of Vit C. Someone on here did suggest giving a poorly piggy (or maybe one off his veg) a child's chewable orange flavoured Vit C tablet - apparently they really like the taste! Luckily I don't have any poorly piggies so not had to try this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back