• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Vitamin C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jack

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Has anyone out there got any opinions on vitamin drops in water? I always used to use Vitasol for my piggies but now am finding it difficult to get in the shops. I saw a suggestion to crush human Vit C tablets into the dry food. Do any of you do this or use drops or anything else? What does anyone think? 98)

From what i've been told the drops in water are no good because you have no idea how much theyre getting because you dont know how much they're drinking? If the pig is getting enough veg they dont need extra vitamin C but if they're sick and off their veg you can give them half a human 60mg chewable tablet, mine like the taste so its not a problem getting them to eat them :) x

also some people have found they dont like the taste water with vit c and drink alot more water when there are no drops in it O0

Vitimin supplements are only neccesary for poorly pigs or those that cannot eat properly.They should get all the vits and minerals from a mixed diet of hay,grass and veggies.

Putting any medsor supplements in the drinking water is dangerous.You do knot now how much the pig has had.Always give by syringe,straight into the mouth,that gives you complete control over the dosage.

I agree 100% with everything Mary said ;)

They're not needed and can also put piggies off drinking their water. If they get a good quality pellet, hay and various vegetables then their diet is correct so they don't need the drops O0

Black Jack, go with veggies instead of fruit, fruit shouldn't be fed much, it's high in fructose (sugar) and causes sores around the mouth.

When I first go my pigs I used (and still do use) the shopping list in the foods forum, its great!

I used to give mine the vitamin drops in their water then when I ran out I was advised to stop giving them it - since then I have found they've been drinking loads more water so it definitely must make the water taste funny. I just make sure I give them fruit/veg with loads of vitamin c in it. O0

guineafriend said:
Black Jack, go with veggies instead of fruit, fruit shouldn't be fed much, it's high in fructose (sugar) and causes sores around the mouth.

When I first go my pigs I used (and still do use) the shopping list in the foods forum, its great!

I thought I'd give him more fruit as he eats more of it - probably cos it's sweeter due to the fructose! He's quite fussy with veggies (doesn't even like tomatoes!) so do you know which ones have good Vit C levels? He loves cucumber and sweetheart cabbage, but not fond of much else.

They are quite fussy to begin with but usually by the time they're older they get to like most things, mine do anyway. I think carrot is high in vitamin C but dont feed it everyday x

have you tried peppers? they are packed full of vitamin C i think half a pepper has enough vit c in for their daily need, so if you can get him on the peppers that would be good O0 just keep putting a piece in every night with his other veggie food.. he might decide to try it one night and find he likes it..Peas have a good vit c content i find most of mine like the garden peas/mangetout and sugarsnap peas

my duke wouldnt touch peppers, until i got archie who liked them and since duke saw him eating them he will eat them too! ::)

i think the dark leafy greens have a good vit c content, and probably brocolli ? carrots do but dont give too many carrots.. if he is getting a dry food which has a good vit c content and eats the daily allowance, plus his fresh veg he should be getting a sufficient amount..just try him with new fruit/veg like i said just keep putting it in even if they dont attempt it the first time..they might bite it accidentally and decide they like the taste!

i know what having a fussy pig is like.. duke is quite fussy you just have to persist and find new things that they will eat.. if you have a garden grass has a lot of vits i think :)

Sadly he won't touch peppers of any colour (yet! I'm hoping he'll be more adventurous as he ages!) He's on Burgess Supa Guinea Excel pellets which apparently have the desired amount of Vit C and Wagg Guinea Crunch for variety. He loves carrots but I've never read they shouldn't have too many - any idea why?

Vitimin supplements are only neccesary for poorly pigs or those that cannot eat properly.They should get all the vits and minerals from a mixed diet of hay,grass and veggies.

I totally agree, and to be honest dont understand why people use them if their piggies have a good diet. Just keep trying new things, and everything in moderation. O0

They are useless and only make your piggy dehidrate as it makes there water taste funny :-\

the vit c disappears soon as its put it water so the piggy really dont get the vit c as by the time they have drank some the good stuff has gone ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back