• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Vitamin C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommies Mam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am adding a vitimin C supplement to my boys water, it's a free sample that I recieved from Pets at Home, I am planning to continue this but, is it safe to do as one of my books suggest simply buy some from from Boots or would it be better to buy some from the pet shop specially designed for guineas. Or is their somewhere on line that I can buy on line that you I can buy.

Thanks alot

Hi there, i'm pretty sure most people will tell you not to add it to the water... :-\ :-\ :-\
I'm sure once this thread is noticed you'll get the expert advice O0

I was advised not to use the vit C supplement, as the food is fortified with it and they should get enough from their veggies.
I think someone else will be able to advise you of times when it is suitable to use the supplement. :)

I don't supplement either, do your pigs eat green pepper? Thats a great source of Vit C mine do and they eat their dried which should be enough. I'm sure someone who knows more will advise.

Louise
x

Vitimin C or any supplement for that matter should only be given if the piggy is not eating for any reason.All the minerals and vitimins should obtained from the food.,this is why it is important to feed a variety of veggies every day.

Putting any meds or supplements in drinking water is a waste of time and could be dangerous.Some piggies drink a lot,and some very little.Always give by syringe,that way you know exactly when and how much the piggy has had.

Supplements given to a healthy pig are a waste of money and could harm them.

Thanks for your replys have now stopped using the supplements, they eat plenty of dried food and get fresh veggies daily though they are both fussy eaters I will try them with peppers later, my previous piggy loved them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back