• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Vitamin C Supplements?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 149630
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 149630

Hello!

My 2 1-year-old sows have been receiving Oxbow Vitamin C supplements about how long I've had them. I can't say exactly when I started feeding them these supplements, but it's been well over a year. I'd done research before finding this forum on notably less-reliable sites, reccomending it.

I was recently notified on this forum by @Piggies&buns that supplements should not be part of my piggies regular diet, but that they are good for a couple weeks when needed. I was also told that my pigs are now used to very high levels of Vit C and could get scurvy if their Vitamin C levels were lowered to a healthy amount.

I know @Piggies&buns is trustworthy and knowledgeable on the subject. I'd just me more comfortable making dietary changes if I had second opinions.

They view their Vitamins as treats and would not be a fan of weaning... and also I've never weaned anyone off of anything before. So, if I need to wean, how slowly should I go?

Thank you all!

@Piggies&buns is correct, piggies fed a healthy balanced diet should quite easily get sufficient vit C from their veggies. Bell pepper and coriander and especially good for vit C, and a slice of pepper or stem of coriander daily is a much more natural way to satisfy vit C needs.
You might start reducing by giving the supplements to every other day instead of every day for a week, then reducing to twice a week for a week, then just stop.
If you replace the supplement with a sprig of coriander or a small piece of pepper this should work fine too.
Many other veggies especially herbs or dark leafy greens are also high in vit C, but some are high calcium- like parsley, and dill, and spinach- so these should be fed more sparingly, perhaps once or twice a week in small amounts.
But coriander/cilantro and bell peppers of all colours can be fed daily and should easily supply enough vit C. Supplements may be beneficial for a few days during illness, and if the supplement is a treat biscuit it could be given as a once a week treat with no ill effects especially if you are worried about their vit C intake, but like with humans, daily supplements are unnecessary for a well nourished healthy individual.

@Piggies&buns is correct, piggies fed a healthy balanced diet should quite easily get sufficient vit C from their veggies. Bell pepper and coriander and especially good for vit C, and a slice of pepper or stem of coriander daily is a much more natural way to satisfy vit C needs.
You might start reducing by giving the supplements to every other day instead of every day for a week, then reducing to twice a week for a week, then just stop.
If you replace the supplement with a sprig of coriander or a small piece of pepper this should work fine too.
Many other veggies especially herbs or dark leafy greens are also high in vit C, but some are high calcium- like parsley, and dill, and spinach- so these should be fed more sparingly, perhaps once or twice a week in small amounts.
But coriander/cilantro and bell peppers of all colours can be fed daily and should easily supply enough vit C. Supplements may be beneficial for a few days during illness, and if the supplement is a treat biscuit it could be given as a once a week treat with no ill effects especially if you are worried about their vit C intake, but like with humans, daily supplements are unnecessary for a well nourished healthy individual.
Thanks for such a helpful response @PigglePuggle

Thank you so much @PigglePuddle! I will do just that! My coriander and bell pepper supply is running low (Thanks, Daisy) so as soon as I restock I will wean them off. I like the idea of using the supplements as a once a week treat, I think I will do that. We bought it in a package of several bags, so I think I will do that after weaning until I get down to the last bag, which I will save for an illness. Thank you for your very knowledgeable and prompt response!

Back