Vitamin C confusion

lydvn

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've been doing research because me and my partner are worried for our guinea pigs health. She's been having some excess calcium, but last night was extra. All powdery, nothing too big either. We are looking to change pellets because I heard Oxbow isn't the best and they have helped create stones before in other guinea pigs. So, I was looking up sherwood pellets, and at minimum you will get 1,000 mg/kg of Vitamin C.

Now the confusing part is we already will be giving them 25mg/kg with their Vit. C supplements from Oxbow.

I looked up how much they should be getting daily and it's only 10mg/kg - 30mg/kg. I'm confused now, and I'm unsure what to do because we already feed veggies with a medium amount of Vitamin C, and supplements, and if we switch to this it's going to be about 1,050mg/kg daily? Anything over 100mg/kg is considered too much, so what do I do exactly? Or is there something I am calculating wrongly?

Guinea pigs get their vit c needs from veg, hay and their one tablespoon of pellets per day. It is not something you need to overthink or calculate at all. Simply feed the recommended diet as per the guides below.

Vitamin c deficiency is very rare in well kept piggies. However when we do see the very occasional case of vit c deficiency on the forum it tends to be in neglect cases and also cases where piggies are given supplements over and above their needs.

It is not recommended to give daily vit c supplements - there are not any long term owners on the forum who will ever use any vitamin c supplements.
This is because their bodies then get used to abnormally and unnecessary high amounts and if that level then drops their body then responds with scurvy symptoms. It is preventable by simply feeding a good diet and not supplementing.
It is only recommended to give a short two week course of vit c supplements during a period of illness to boost the immune system.

Most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and drinking water. It is the calcium and oxalates being imbalanced which contributes to the formation of bladder stones. It is not something which Oxbow pellets cause - it is something which any piggy can be at risk of developing if their calcium balance in the diet is wrong (regardless of the type of pellets they are fed) and if they are genetically predisposed to stones.

This is why we recommend pellets are kept limited to just one tablespoon per pig per day. Ensuring drinking water is filtered, and that high calcium veg is also kept limited and fed no more than once a week.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

In 16 years of piggy ownership, I’ve been advised to give extra vitamin c supplements to a piggy of mine from a vet only once and it many years ago. But Connie was really poorly, not eating for herself and we were trying to eliminate possible illnesses. As @Piggies&buns has mentioned, guinea pigs get their vitamin c from their veg, hay and pellets, you shouldn’t need to supplement it in a healthy piggy 🙂

:agr: Vit C and calcium can be confusing topics, but a natural diet is usually the best way to go.
I'd recommend focussing more on providing a varied, balanced diet and lots of enrichment rather than stressing about exact numbers.
It's great that you obviously care so much about your piggies' health though. 🥰

Guinea pigs get their vit c needs from veg, hay and their one tablespoon of pellets per day. It is not something you need to overthink or calculate at all. Simply feed the recommended diet as per the guides below.

Vitamin c deficiency is very rare in well kept piggies. However when we do see the very occasional case of vit c deficiency on the forum it tends to be in neglect cases and also cases where piggies are given supplements over and above their needs.

It is not recommended to give daily vit c supplements - there are not any long term owners on the forum who will ever use any vitamin c supplements.
This is because their bodies then get used to abnormally and unnecessary high amounts and if that level then drops their body then responds with scurvy symptoms. It is preventable by simply feeding a good diet and not supplementing.
It is only recommended to give a short two week course of vit c supplements during a period of illness to boost the immune system.

Most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and drinking water. It is the calcium and oxalates being imbalanced which contributes to the formation of bladder stones. It is not something which Oxbow pellets cause - it is something which any piggy can be at risk of developing if their calcium balance in the diet is wrong (regardless of the type of pellets they are fed) and if they are genetically predisposed to stones.

This is why we recommend pellets are kept limited to just one tablespoon per pig per day. Ensuring drinking water is filtered, and that high calcium veg is also kept limited and fed no more than once a week.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
This was very helpful, as all the other replies. Thank you very much!

Back