• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

vit c dosage for sick pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicano

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me a recommended dosage for supplementing vitamin c when pigs are sick.

Many thanks. :)

Sorry, I should just clarify that this would be in addition to eating veggies. My vet has recommended 30mg per pig but I wondered if I could go higher or not.

Piggies need 30-50mg a day of Vitamin C. If you look at http://www.guinealynx.com/diet_order-c.html this tells you the C content of veggies so you could subtract what they're eating from the total and see what's left. I don't think that it will harm them to go slightly over the daily recommendation - some of the human tablets have 2000% of the daily RDA for humans!

If you buy the human tablets I normally give a quarter diluted with some water. I think they will just get rid of any surplus vit c naturally anyway so you can't overdose them. That's what I have been told anyway. could be wrong :-\

Thanks. :) Yes, that was my thinking too - the RDA for humans is way under the dosages in the tablets. But then maybe the RDA for pigs is a more realistic one (given the size of pigs compared to humans!)

Sorry to highjack the post but could you confirm how much is good then Karen? I use a quarter of the soluble tables you buy in tubes? Is that OK?

Thanks

Laure

I don't know how strong they are so can't really say :) They don't need extra if they have a good diet, only when they're ill or for a specific reason. I use GTN tablet from Oxbow- half one straight to the back ofthe mouth >:D

Those soluble tablets are normally really strong - about 1000mg! The one I've got is Biocare drops - 4 drops is 30 mg.

I gave half of a 60mg tablet, popped it in the mouth onto the back teeth & let my piggy crunch it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back