Vibrating: happy or not?

Cue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Both of my pigs are very very quiet, and really don’t make any noise at all unless they are voicing their opinions on being picked up. Often when I hold them for a while or haven’t held them in a while, they start vibrating when I pet them. No moving, no noise, just calm vibrating that you couldn’t see or feel if you weren’t petting them. I was wondering if this is equal to happy purring or if that’s them telling me to stop?

It may be they’re telling you to stop. Standing still is usually a sign that they’re hoping the predator will leave them alone. Do bear in mind they may not like being held. I would perhaps put them in a cuddle cup/sack next to you. Preferably on the floor where they can’t blind jump down.

One of my boys doesn’t (very rarely) wheek at all either. He’s always been that way.

When picking them up, using hands cuts too close to their prey instinct. You could instead use a box, cuddle sack or carrier and herd them into it.

When I adopted Lexi and Thea in November last year, Lexi was so terribly frightened when I held her she would vibrate and look around frantically with the whites of her eyes showing to try to get away. I always pick my piggies up in a cuddlesack anyway so that wasn't the problem. When I gave her cuddle time, first of all it was only for a minute. I have slowly built this up to 5 minutes over the course of 10 months. She still needs to be covered up so she feels safe. She doesn't vibrate anymore but is very still. It sometimes takes a long time for a piggy to get used to having a cuddle, some never do you just have to go with what they are happy with and respect this. Thea on the other hand enjoys a cuddle when she's in the mood. I don't give my piggies cuddletime every day as they aren't that keen on it and aren't animated toys as some pet shops would have you believe. They are happy just bimbling around doing happy bimbly piggy stuff.

Back