Vibrating Guiena Pig?

LovleyLuck

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
IMG_0365.webp My guinea pig, Oreo, keeps shaking and vibrating like she's cold but when I put a blanket on her she doesn't stop! Help my Oreo!

How long have you had her? If she's new she is likely very very scared at the minute. Leave her be and cover her cage in a blanket so she feels safer. I would leave a new piggy for about 5 days to settle in before handling etc. Obviously give food/veg/hay and clean them out but leave alone as much as possible to really let them settle down. Talking gently to Oreo will get her uses to your voice.

I realise you've only just got Oreo but will you be adding a friend? Guinea pigs are social animals and really benefit from having a companion.

View attachment 72137 My guinea pig, Oreo, keeps shaking and vibrating like she's cold but when I put a blanket on her she doesn't stop! Help my Oreo!

Hi and welcome!

Do you have a single baby guinea pig? Please get it a same sex companion. guinea pigs are not wired to be on their own without the company of their own kind - your baby is feeling VERY lost and very frightened right now! Sadly Switzerland is still the only country where it is illegal to sell and own single piggies.
Guinea pigs are also prey animals that have had virtually nothing in the way of human interaction before they are thrust into a home environment and are expected to be snuggly animated cuddly toys. For them, we are are smelly huge predators. It takes time and patience to build up trust. :(

Please take the time to read these guides here; you will find them very helpful in understanding your piggy and building up a relationship with it in time.
Companionship
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

Lots more helpful information for new owners via this link: New Owners' Online Starter " Booklet" For Really Helpful Advice

How long have you had her? If she's new she is likely very very scared at the minute. Leave her be and cover her cage in a blanket so she feels safer. I would leave a new piggy for about 5 days to settle in before handling etc. Obviously give food/veg/hay and clean them out but leave alone as much as possible to really let them settle down. Talking gently to Oreo will get her uses to your voice.

I realise you've only just got Oreo but will you be adding a friend? Guinea pigs are social animals and really benefit from having a companion.
Thanks this helped!

Hi and welcome!

Do you have a single baby guinea pig? Please get it a same sex companion. guinea pigs are not wired to be on their own without the company of their own kind - your baby is feeling VERY lost and very frightened right now! Sadly Switzerland is still the only country where it is illegal to sell and own single piggies.
Guinea pigs are also prey animals that have had virtually nothing in the way of human interaction before they are thrust into a home environment and are expected to be snuggly animated cuddly toys. For them, we are are smelly huge predators. It takes time and patience to build up trust. :(

Please take the time to read these guides here; you will find them very helpful in understanding your piggy and building up a relationship with it in time.
Companionship
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

Lots more helpful information for new owners via this link: New Owners' Online Starter " Booklet" For Really Helpful Advice
Thank you for the advice.

Back