• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Vets in South Yorkshire

Piggiemum2

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good exotics vet in Sheffield and the surrounding area? I need to get a checkup for one of my boys that’s having trouble peeing and possibly has blood in his pee.
Ive separated them so i know for certain which one is peeing blood but whilst i wait to find out I wondered if anyone can tell me of a reputable exotics vet in the South Yorkshire area.
I had a vet in Sheffield for my last boy that passed away but didn’t have a great experience and was left with a rather extortionate bill and treatments that didn’t work.
Now money isn’t the problem, whatever I need to do for my boys I will find a way to do. But I want to make sure they’re seeing someone that has animal welfare as their top priority and not money.

Also can I do anything in the meantime (overnight) before seeing someone tomorrow? I have probiotics and recovery feed but don’t know what’s best, I don’t want to syringe feed a water solution if it can make things worse.

I am kicking myself for not sorting this sooner but as I can’t change that now I want to do things right moving forward.

Thanks in advance

I've linked the vet list for you in case you can't see it!

When you say ‘having trouble peeing’ what do you mean by that? Ie if urine is not flowing out properly as of right now, then that is an emergency and you will need to call any out of hours vet tonight. Any potential blockage of urine flow can’t wait overnight.

I would recommend you switch to daily weight checks and you absolutely do need to step in with critical care feeds if weight is being lost. A probiotic is also a good idea.
Why do you think feeding a water solution would make things worse? Syringe feeding critical care will never make things worse - If he isn’t eating/is losing weight then stepping in is essential. Don’t forget that pain can make them reduce food intake so even if he hasn’t lost weight today if there is any risk he isn’t eating enough then do prepare to step in

I've linked the vet list for you in case you can't see it!
Thanks. I couldn't figure out how to do it

I use the Guinea pig vet in matlock.if you are able to drive its approx 25 mls away from you.Barc used to be a rescue that had guinea pigs,that was recommended to me.i drive from north east leicestershire to see her.

When you say ‘having trouble peeing’ what do you mean by that? Ie if urine is not flowing out properly as of right now, then that is an emergency and you will need to call any out of hours vet tonight. Any potential blockage of urine flow can’t wait overnight.

I would recommend you switch to daily weight checks and you absolutely do need to step in with critical care feeds if weight is being lost. A probiotic is also a good idea.
Why do you think feeding a water solution would make things worse? Syringe feeding critical care will never make things worse - If he isn’t eating/is losing weight then stepping in is essential. Don’t forget that pain can make them reduce food intake so even if he hasn’t lost weight today if there is any risk he isn’t eating enough then do prepare to step in
Since last night both of them are peeing but no blood overnight or yesterday from 3pm onwards, I’ve got an appointment on Monday. But if I return home today and there is blood then I’ll take them today. I was told that if I can’t determine which one has had red pee there’s little the vet can do (other than a checkup) until I know. And on the basis they’re both eating and drinking as normal, normal behaviour and normal weight that waiting a day will be ok. I’m managing this a day at a time and will see an emergency vet over the weekend if necessary.
I’ve watched both of them urinate and there didn’t seem to be any discomfort and no squeaking whilst trying to pee so my initial comment of “struggling to pee” was the wrong wording, I wrote this post in a panic after finding the red pee.
I’m doing everything I can do in the meantime.

In the early stages of a UTI, symptoms can be sporadic so yes it is the case that until things become more consistent it can be rather tricky to tell. Do note though that red can be porphyrin rather than blood and that seemingly clear urine can also contain traces of blood.
Your vet may be able to check both their urine for traces as that may help identify which one.

Back