Vetbed?

Viennese Furbabies

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Yes that’s it. It is really lovely bedding. Just needs an absorbent layer put underneath

To get hay off of it, I use a rubber bristled brush. Works well

Something like this will help get the hay off
FURminator Curry Comb Striegel
Or a rubbed grooming glove.

But the reality is that you will never get all of the hay off vet bed.

If you have a balcony you could brush it off out there (as long as the neighbours below aren't having dinner on their balcony :lol:

I tried some but personally didn't like it. The pile is quite deep and the piggies seemed to struggle to walk on it with their short legs more than on the flat fleece. George in particular has arthritis and nails that grow curly in all directions so he snagged a bit - he didn't get completely stuck but he didn't choose to go on it. And it made a mess of the washing machine. The homemade (flat) fleece/zorb/fleece bedding we have is absorbent and quite cushioned and much easier to shake out, brush (rubber brush) and wash. We also have these snuggle tunnels...
1628676493238.webp These are comfy and plush but not absorbent - if piggy pees in one it stays wet (but you can just flip the triangle round). They also collapse after a dozen washes or so, but mine still push their way in. The pigs have learnt to pee outside before they go in - the poops just shake out. George can keep a tunnel dry all week but if Flora gets in his she'll deliberately pee all over his nice boar stink straight away just to annoy him!
WIN_20210811_11_15_29_Pro.webp The final thing is this which was sold as a puppy mat for about £4. I cut it in half and just sewed up the rough edges. It's got cheap sponge in the middle and a cheap nylon back and the fluff is that long, smooth fleece that doesn't catch nails but stays wet when peed on so actually it should have been a soggy disaster but Flora realised straight away about the puddle problem and has never peed on it again. We use it in 'Flora's penthouse': she's the only one who likes to sleep up top.
flora's penthouse.webp
So I suppose it depends on how your piggies are with absorbent surfaces and what exactly is the problem with the paw you are trying to deal with. For many years we just used bedding and we still do in the base of the cages... we tried a plastic 'toilet corner' that nobody ever went in and of course piggies cannot be toilet trained but for some reason it surprised me that they could choose not to pee somewhere - especially somewhere warm and fluffy! They poop everywhere - don't get me wrong - but as poops just shake off. If they're going in somewhere for a nap they usually pause and pee outside before they go in. So I guess they are toilet trained - it's just where they want to go!

I don't find it difficult to get hay off the vet bed. I have a congenitally miniature piggy who does tiny poos and I find it hard to get all of them off. Before washing for the first time, I pull at all the cut edges to get the loose bits off and brush it with a pet brush, then nothing comes off in the washing machine. I like the thickness of it for older piggies.

Thank you for your answers and your advice.
I decided to give it a try and buy two plankets. If I like them, I'll get a second set. If not, I'll give those two to a friend of mine as a gift - her dog will probaly like it.

I don't want to count everything I spent for the piggies today. Was a real shopping day. ;)

Back