Vetbed v noodle bath mats for dryness

pelicano

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I currently have my pigs on noodle microfibre bath mats (the Ikea ones) with washable incontinence pads underneath. I do really like this, and they get rotated around a lot to try to keep things dry. But one of my pigs has developed chronic red back feet. The vet doesn't seem too concerned, but recommended switching to Vetbed to try to keep her feet dryer.

I have a few very old pieces of Vetbed I could try out, but I'm really not wanting to buy loads of the stuff if it isn't likely to make any difference (especially given how many noodle mats I now have!) So I thought I'd ask first on here people's views on how Vetbed and noodle mats compare for keeping things dry.

Thanks!

Hi, I currently have my pigs on noodle microfibre bath mats (the Ikea ones) with washable incontinence pads underneath. I do really like this, and they get rotated around a lot to try to keep things dry. But one of my pigs has developed chronic red back feet. The vet doesn't seem too concerned, but recommended switching to Vetbed to try to keep her feet dryer.

I have a few very old pieces of Vetbed I could try out, but I'm really not wanting to buy loads of the stuff if it isn't likely to make any difference (especially given how many noodle mats I now have!) So I thought I'd ask first on here people's views on how Vetbed and noodle mats compare for keeping things dry.

Thanks!

Hi

Use smaller vetbed patches you can switch daily for your problem piggy's favourite hang-out area; you can do that by cutting up your vetbed. The problem with noddle mats and fleece bedding/cosies is that while the fluid is drained away, small urine and poo particles build up on the surface, especially in the sleeping areas that cause the irritation. Vetbed hs been developed to wick away much faster and more efficiently.

However, the callus (firm skin on the foot soles) is part of the immune system. Longer nails or arthritis can also mean that the main body weight is directed to a different area than originally intended.
By over-creaming you soften it and actually make it more likely to rip or crack and allow bugs to get into the skin through those tiny cracks. That is often the reason why extra caring owners are more prone to end up with an acute bumblefoot problem.

Step in with bumblefoot care and see a vet as soon as you notice a punctual change to the colour and texture of the sole. Leucillin or Gorgeous Guineas f&m ointment can often be enough to fend it off in the very early stages.

But hopefully it won't go any further than just some general redness. The only actual cases of bumblefoot I have had to deal with were in very frail, old, sedentary piggies with a failing blood circulation/immune system (one of them was in their final decline) although a number of my piggies have and have had reddened soles.

I use both and fleece liners for the main area of the cage. The vet bed definitely keeps them a lot drier because the urine soaks through it and is locked underneath by the special fabric backing. I use small pieces of vet bed for my elderly piggy in the main places he sleeps, (under his footstool and in his hidey house/bed), you need to put a thick layer of newspaper under it to soak up the urine as if there's nowhere for it to soak into the top will stay wet, this also helps keep the main fleece liner dry. I fold a newspaper to fit the house. I change the vet bed everyday (sometimes twice). If you've got some small pieces I would try it and see if you have enough before buying more. I bought an off cut off of ebay and cut it into smaller pieces. It dries really quickly when washed, hopefully we will get some summer weather for line drying soon!

I just want to update this, so people can find it on a search. Much as I still really don't like Vetbed much, Molly's foot issue was completely resolved just by changing to it, so I am thrilled. Thanks for all the help.

So glad that vetbed has worked for you. I am with you - I prefer noodle mats for normal daily use but vetbed is invaluable for ill/mobility and bumblefoot piggies.

I'm with you both there. Vet bed is so hard to get the hay out of, even only using small bits in the favourite lying spots the hay travels but it certainly helps with my arthritic oldies. The vet complimented me on the lovely condition of Red's feet considering his age recently, so glad I found out about vet bed.

Back