Vetbed not working out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I always used to use woodshavings for my piggies, but because of my allergies this became a problem. Every time I cleaned them out, I set off an asthma attack :(

So I bought vetbed and it really helped with my wheezing, but the problem is that it always looks dirty and scruffy. I clean it twice a week but within an hour it is filthy again, covered in food and poo and whatever else >:(

With the woodshavings I only had to clean out once a week so I have actually made more work for myself too.

I can't clean them out more often, I simply don't have time, so are there any other options I should think about?

could you not hoover up the poops daily? thats what i do with my fleece :) also if they have a hay rack, i put a litter tray under it and 90% of the poops are in there which i also clean daily :)

The cage only has a tiny door at the side so it's pretty impossible to clean without taking the piggies and everything else out. I would prefer a cage that opened up properly but that's another issue altogether. The main door on my cage is on the top, but as I keep the cage on a highish shelf, I can't reach that door.

I wonder if I could get them to use a litter tray in one corner?

Just trialing 2 of mine on vet bed and fleece, I tried putting care fresh in one corner.
Didn't work out, they wee and poop everywhere. :D :D ;D
I like the vet bed though, I hoover mine.
As soon as I have enough cash all 4 are going on vet bed. O0

Cant you maybe get a diff colour vetbed?

I hoover my fleece a couple of times a day, and wash it once every 3 days...but I have 3 guineas in one of the cages :)

I clean up poops daily and clean it every 2 days. Delilah makes soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much mess, but I guess it's just something u have to put up with using fleece/vetbed.

I didnt get on with white vet bed. It looked a state the whole time. Dark green or charcoal pro-fleece is perfect! You cant see the poops! O0

You have to bear in mind that with woodshavings, it's just that you can't see the poo and pee - it's still there. Using vetbed and fleece makes you more aware of how dirty piggies really are! I would never recommend using woodshavings so if you're having trouble perhaps try fleece (MUCH easier to sweep) or megazorb (very absorbent and doesn't irritate the piggies' skin).

I use megazorb as it doesn't irritate me or the piggies! Plus its absorbant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back