Vetbed in a hutch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is it okay to use vet bed outside in a hutch or will the piggies not be warm enough? If I do use it I plan to put just newspaper and loads of hay in the bed area to keep them nice and cosy.

Jane

Vetbeds are so much better then hay and newspaper. i have been using for over a year now. they have had 2 winters with vetbeds. Much better. Both my girls have had injures from hay in their eyes due to them staying at a pet sitter who used hay and newspaper. My hay is now in the racks for the piggies.

I was only planning to use hay and newspaper in the bedding area to keep them warm but I guess I wont.

So vetbed is fine outside, right? :)

vetbeds are like thick fleece. very very warm. you can use a bit of hay on top of the vetbed but remember to brush it off before you wash them in your washing machine. u can get greta deals on vet beds on ebay or ask onthe for sale/want board to see if any member has any spare you can buy

Do you find lots of hair and hay gets stuck to it? With fleece LOADS of hair gets stuck to it and mum goes crazy when it's all in the washing machine ::) (no idea why ;D)

Does it go over newspaper? how often do you wash it? any bad things about it? Sorry for the questions :P Where is yours from? :)

You must rbush it off with a hardish brush and thats the same with the fleece. i wash mine every 6th day. They are cleaned every day as i have a hand held hoover.

People will say hay etc gets stuck in washing machine. touch wood i have never had a problem. U must brush it off first. I think they are the best things. If VETS use them then thats good enough for me.

Jane said:
I was only planning to use hay and newspaper in the bedding area to keep them warm but I guess I wont.

So vetbed is fine outside, right? :)

I've used it outside Jane, well outside in a shed. :)

Jane said:
Do you find lots of hair and hay gets stuck to it? With fleece LOADS of hair gets stuck to it and mum goes crazy when it's all in the washing machine  ::) (no idea why  ;D)

Does it go over newspaper? how often do you wash it? any bad things about it? Sorry for the questions :P Where is yours from? :)

Yes it goes over newspaper, i used to wash mine every 3-4 days.  Only bad bit was if there was a gust of wind in the wrong direction when i was brushing/shaking :o ;D

Washing it is no different to washing fleece, both have to be brushed & i always do a separate rinse after washing my piggies bedding before our washing goes in.

I got mine from Ebay  :)

I got the girls vetbeds on ebay and the boys was from someone on here.

Thanks guys. With fleece I did sooo much but the hair always seemed to get stuck. My parents have agreed I can get some.

Measured the hutch too - I think (I have rubbish memory :P) it is 72" x 26", something like that anyway. It's also two storeys - so I guess I need 4 peices that big. Ack, I can see this being expensive ;P

True, but I do already have a lot of fleece and towels and stuff I could use, just makes me wonder whether it's worth it. :-\

the difference between vetbeds and fleece. when the piggy wee on a vet bed it soaks down the the newspaper so the top is always dry with towels and fleece it doesnt.

I disagree - when I used fleece before the top was NEVER wet - the pee always drained through into the towels and newspaper?

and the fleece is still dry for how long? i use to use towel and fleece and find vetbeds a lot better but everyone has their favourite bedding that works for them

Fleece is non absorbant so it should stay dry also, but as I understood it, vet bed is anti-chewable (?!) and fleece is not! But I could be wrong . .

I've never used vet bed so can only comment on the fleece side at the moment.

Piggiewiggy said:
and the fleece is still dry for how long? i use to use towel and fleece and find vetbeds a lot better but everyone has their favourite bedding that works for them

I found it was never wet on the top surface, I cleaned it two or three times a week and it was never wet on the top.

Loopylou - maybe that's the case, but can't anything be chewed? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back