Vetbed help!

• Thread starter Thread starter pixie_76
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pixie_76

Hi folks - I've decided to switch from newspaper, shavings & hay to vetbed.... :) :) Pip is due to be neutered soon and I want him to be comfortable after the op! ;D But while buying it for him I decided to get some for the girls too (only fair really - Catherine Piggie would have been MOST cross ::) and it's much easier & less mess) but would like to know if I need to put newspaper underneath? ? Thanks for your help!

Michelle x

I guess it wouldn't hurt to put newspaper underneath as an extra layer, but vetbed is very absorbent - hopefully someone else here uses it and will be able to tell you for sure!

I've just given some vetbed to one of my sows, she's very smug about it!

Yes a thick layer of newspaper underneath as the wee's do soak through. When my Peru is on vetbed I change his papers every day/2nd day (or just lift the top sheets til no wet there) - give the vetbed a good old shake daily or with a stiff handbrush sweep up the poos daily or twice daily.

Helen.
x

Thanks for the speedy replies! I'm off to change them over right now... :) :) :)

Michelle x

Oh most definately! ;D I've never seen my little Ruby Rubester popcorning before.... and I put her on the vetbed and watched her & Catherine explore.... they were SO funny and Ruby was popcorning loads! I think they like it. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: Mr Pip on the other hand, looks bemused and was much more intersted in the girls than his new comfy bed! Boys! ::) ::) Will post pics soon... watch this space.....

ooooh I just thought - what is the best washing powder (if any) to use on the vetbed? I use a sensitive non-bio one already if that's any good? Cheers (again!)

Michelle & 3 very happy piggies! x

Yup,definately newspaper, and a thick layer too. You will probably have to change bits of the paper every night as well as the wee goes straight through the vetbed and in their 'wee corners' the paper is usually saturated just in the space of one day, it'll keep any smells down as well.

One of mine seems to sneeze since we changed to Daz (it was on offer, I have no brand loyalty!) but have switched to Ecover and hopefully that will be gentler on them. AndI would avoid using a fabric softener like I used to, it stops the vetbed's effectiveness.

Hi
I use profleece which I think is very similar to vetbed for my two boys. I put a thick layer of newspaper down and then some wood based cat litter on top before the profleece. This helps soak up all the wee and keeps the smell down. It works for us, but I do it mainly because they are indoors in the hall near this PC and I didn't want lots of hay all over the place when we cleaned them out. Hope that is of some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back