Vetbed, finacard or Megazorb, whats best?

• Thread starter Thread starter sarsmccabe
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sarsmccabe

I have the reviews left but am still completely stuck on what to use. any advice?

i prefer megazorb as its so absorbant and is only £5.90 for a huge sack that lasts me a month, and their cages dont get smelly with it

I'm not keen on vetbed or fleece, as i find it too high maintainance, but i use fleece with 2 of my boars to cut costs

I'm sure the finacard salesman will be along soon to talk you into finacard ;D ::)

Really Lez when I am on forum, I do not wear a salesman's hat. I merely present the facts as i know them. Quite happy to send you a sample to try to verify them!

Fleece all the way for me, but as Lez says it can be high maintaince it needs regular changing but I use it because its cost effective. I couldn't have the amount of pigs if I had to pay weekly for bedding.

Megazorb is great for outdoors but indoors I found it messy, or pehaps I am clumsy. It's good though, prefer this to hay and shavings.

Finacard, don't know much about it as I've not used it. :)

i am finding woodshavingd to be a nightmare. was thinking about using vetbed with either finacard or megazorb. dont know yet though any one tried lino on the base of a cage?

happypet said:
Really Lez when I am on forum, I do not wear a salesman's hat. I merely present the facts as i know them. Quite happy to send you a sample to try to verify them!

not a salesman hey?

youve made 13 posts, and all 13 have been about finacard or trying to convince people to try finacard. seems like salesman behaviour to me!

regarding the sample, no thank you i dont buy bedding off the net, and I'm very happy with megazorb O0

i dont find megazorb messy, but i have laminate floors.

fleece really does save money, but i get annoyed with it especially when i have a lot going on at uni as it needs cleaning so often. i only stick to it because of the cost benefits

sarsmccabe said:
i am finding woodshavingd to be a nightmare. was thinking about using vetbed with either finacard or megazorb. dont know yet though any one tried lino on the base of a cage?

I had lino as the base instead of correx for a C&C cage for 2 years. Was fine, but they found it more chewable than correx. I don't particularly like vetbed because it's a pain to get hay out of but I do use fleece. The only reason it's high maintenence is because it doesn't disguise mess like other beddings do! Never used finacard (looks a bit course?) but I use megazorb on a third of my C&C cage and love it.

It doesn't smell bad but can smell sort of disinfectanty. The batch I have just now doesn't smell unless I stick my face up against it! There's a garden centre just outside Falkirk that sells it.

thanks I was wondering where i was going to get it. how much is it at the garden centre?

I thought it smelt woody but its not a bad smell. ;D Google Northern Crop Driers they have stockists listed. :)

Thanks sunshineandtwinkle. I just dont want my piggies skin drying out. will go and google it now. x

found a supplier in Dalkeith and Peebles which isn't to far from me. will be heading down next week once i finish my woodshavings (not wasting them). Thank you. xx

I use a combination of things. A layer of newspaper, plus a layer of Megazorb (very absorbent - great stuff), plus vetbed, on half of the pen. This seems to keep them nice and clean/dry. On the other half I use newspaper, plus Megazorb, plus hay, which they love.

During the summer months I don't use Vetbed, as I find they get hot and bothered on it.

thats a great idea, might try the vetbed and megazorb then see how it goes.

sarsmccabe said:
Thanks sunshineandtwinkle. I just dont want my piggies skin drying out. will go and google it now. x

I use Megazorb mainly because Woodshavings was too dust and dry for my Skinny Pigs. Since switching to Megazorb I dont have any dry Skinnys, lol.
I love it because its very absorbant and with woodshavings on clean out day you could tell it was due because you could seem the soggy shavings with Megazorb I cant spell anything. O0 from me!
This is Doris and Susie, troughing(sp?) but you can see the Megazorb bedding. Please excuse the poops, thats my only problem the poops seem to be stand out more, lol!
000_5372.jpg

Emma x

Yes, the poops do show up more! They look all lovely and clean for all of an hour before it seems to be covered in poop! ::)

I use Megazorb for my indoor pigs and I like it, so do they!

Sophie
x

i am really loving the hairless piggy, you must have struggled to find that breed?

Been struggling to find somewhere that sells megazorb and delivers to North Wales for under £10 delivery charge...but I have now found a supplier

farmway.co.uk

Delivery £3.99, and price is £4.99 per bag (going up to £5.29 from April 1st).

Just thought I'd share that incase anyone else was struggling!
I'm switching to megazorb under vetbed, as had problems with shavings drying feet out!

sarsmccabe said:
i am really loving the hairless piggy, you must have struggled to find that breed?

Going a little off topic....
I have two Doris (above) and Kanika. Susie who is with Doris is her daughter.
They are very limited and I have been lucky to own 3 upto now, sadly I lost my first girl Capy at 7mths old.
BUT I like them being limited because people will want them for the wrong reasons e.g. breeding them - they cost upto £150 each, new fashion trend (they have been in the national papers last year), being anti-allergy(sp?) pets which they couldn't be because they still have hair and mainly they wont know how to look after them plus most vets havent met one to know what to do with it.

Endemoniada said:
Been struggling to find somewhere that sells megazorb and delivers to North Wales for under £10 delivery charge...but I have now found a supplier
farmway.co.uk
Delivery £3.99, and price is £4.99 per bag (going up to £5.29 from April 1st).
Just thought I'd share that incase anyone else was struggling!
I'm switching to megazorb under vetbed, as had problems with shavings drying feet out!

I was just about to suggest Farmway, I get them from my local shop.

Emma x

Megazorb is usually found at horse feed suppliers as horse bedding was the original use for it.

daftscotslass said:
It doesn't smell bad but can smell sort of disinfectanty. The batch I have just now doesn't smell unless I stick my face up against it! There's a garden centre just outside Falkirk that sells it.

where about i might get some? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back