Vet Paperwork Needed For Road Travel To France?

Mimmi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, We're relocating to Norway and of course our guineas have to come too. I've been quoted 800 pounds to get my 3 guineas on board a flight from London to Norway so I'm frantically looking for an alternative solution. I've just found out from Le Shuttle (the train which you can board with a car which goes through the euortunnel) that no paperwork is needed to board the train with the pets. What I'm trying to find out at the moment though is whether or not any vet paperwork is required for customs at the French end. Nobody at the French ministry for agriculture speaks English and the French embassy and consul in the UK have an out of date message saying that they are closed for Christmas when I try to call their helpline! Can't find any clear info on google. Any help would be much appreciated!

a friend of mine had the same nightmare... because it can really become a nightmare! Guinea pigs are NOT considered pets as ferrets and cannot have a passport. hence you have to follow local laws. BUT: at the border you might find some official who simply DOES NOT know the laws! which of course are never clear... and that was just what happened at the border to this friend. He had a vet certificate, but it was not enough and the piggie was stopped in quarantine with a huge amount of troubles.
My advice is: NOT to trust the official laws which you can get from the Embassy. Travel by car and hide the piggies some km before the border. If you don't have any car, travel by train and hide the piggies into a luggage when you approach the border.

May not be a good idea to hide your piggies? If they are found you may be in more trouble than if you had been honest in the first place!

a friend of mine had the same nightmare... because it can really become a nightmare! Guinea pigs are NOT considered pets as ferrets and cannot have a passport. hence you have to follow local laws. BUT: at the border you might find some official who simply DOES NOT know the laws! which of course are never clear... and that was just what happened at the border to this friend. He had a vet certificate, but it was not enough and the piggie was stopped in quarantine with a huge amount of troubles.
My advice is: NOT to trust the official laws which you can get from the Embassy. Travel by car and hide the piggies some km before the border. If you don't have any car, travel by train and hide the piggies into a luggage when you approach the border.

Hi Rome. I can imagine that happening. I guess if I can get it in writing (perhaps a reply to an email sent to the embassy) then if the border guys happen to find guinea pigs amongst a van load of household clutter they can't accuse me of hiding them if there is nothing to hide. It's really useful to hear from you that its not always a black and white situation. Thanks Rome. :)

May not be a good idea to hide your piggies? If they are found you may be in more trouble than if you had been honest in the first place!
I hear what you are saying Betsy.

Hi Rome. I can imagine that happening. I guess if I can get it in writing (perhaps a reply to an email sent to the embassy) then if the border guys happen to find guinea pigs amongst a van load of household clutter they can't accuse me of hiding them if there is nothing to hide. It's really useful to hear from you that its not always a black and white situation. Thanks Rome. :)
you are right... and when a friend of mine hid a kitten into his underwears, after long battles with Embassy, permissions, stupid laws and so on, he risked an heart attack! :)) My crazy friend lost the patience and decided to do like that form coming home from CUBA to Milan! with a rescue kitten into his underwears...
I had a long waste of time twice for carrying a DAUGHTER... my daughter was a baby 1 month old, I got the paper (a passport for babies) where it was written that Erica had blue eyes. After two months the colour changed!! and the baby was BLOCKED at the airport.
Again in Switzerland two years later. In Italy I could not get a new passport because the old one (the paper with the picture of her as a baby) was still valid. The picture could not be changed, too. I sniffed big troubles, hence I went to policemen, embassy and so on, they said I was an anxious mum. But I got a lot of papers which might help me in case. I went to the border with my papers ready. The swiss officer at the border did not care at all of any paper. My daughter was NOT the baby of the picture and moreover her eyes had changed again the colour! 4 hours at the border.
And last August again Erica was stopped in Heathrow!! ahahaah! she was flighing alone and the british officer did not like her picture again (on identity card). Don't ask me why, but again she was stopped there.
Borders may be a nightmare...
But I am always the winner with bad luck...:))
If you like I can try to call or visit the french Embassy or consolate here in Rome, maybe they can give me some info by phone... Let me know if you are in a hurry.

you are right... and when a friend of mine hid a kitten into his underwears, after long battles with Embassy, permissions, stupid laws and so on, he risked an heart attack! :)) My crazy friend lost the patience and decided to do like that form coming home from CUBA to Milan! with a rescue kitten into his underwears...
I had a long waste of time twice for carrying a DAUGHTER... my daughter was a baby 1 month old, I got the paper (a passport for babies) where it was written that Erica had blue eyes. After two months the colour changed! and the baby was BLOCKED at the airport.
Again in Switzerland two years later. In Italy I could not get a new passport because the old one (the paper with the picture of her as a baby) was still valid. The picture could not be changed, too. I sniffed big troubles, hence I went to policemen, embassy and so on, they said I was an anxious mum. But I got a lot of papers which might help me in case. I went to the border with my papers ready. The swiss officer at the border did not care at all of any paper. My daughter was NOT the baby of the picture and moreover her eyes had changed again the colour! 4 hours at the border.
And last August again Erica was stopped in Heathrow! ahahaah! she was flighing alone and the british officer did not like her picture again (on identity card). Don't ask me why, but again she was stopped there.
Borders may be a nightmare...
But I am always the winner with bad luck...:))
If you like I can try to call or visit the french Embassy or consolate here in Rome, maybe they can give me some info by phone... Let me know if you are in a hurry.

Rome, You are so kind. Thank you so much for offering to contact the embassy there. It looks like I can avoid France by getting a ferry to Holland and driving to Germany and getting another Ferry to Oslo. I spoke to the organisation which controls animal travel through Europe (DEFRA) and they said that no papers are required for travel with guineas anywhere in Europe but to be sure that I should contact each of the embassies by email and get it in Writing. This is because, as you said, customs officials can make things difficult if they want to. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you got for simply travelling with family members. Its funny how eye colour can change like that. That's happened with loads of people from my wife's family. They tend to start of with brown eyes and by adulthood its a wonderful green colour.

very good news! and by car you will not even stopped at the border Holland-Germany. You are right in wanting to have a paper, I also would prefer getting the same...
I hope you will have a good journey and travelling by car will allow you to have more luggages (and hay!):D

Anyway, after reading some forum of unlucky people's stories at the border, I have found this updated info: consider that guinea pigs are NOT rodents... and this is the reason of many troubles at the borders; because theorically they would NOT need to follow the rules below, but... officers may not know...
Travelling to Norway with caged birds, rodents and rabbits
slice-2.png
Published 10.06.2016 Modified 17.01.2017
Three or less animals
The non-commercial movement of three or less birds, rabbits or rodents is permitted if the animals are accompanied by an identification document. This document must satisfy requirements in terms of format, layout and language, and it must be issued by an authorised veterinarian in the country of dispatch. The document shall not be issued before departure from Norway.

The document must consist of a health certificate in which the veterinarian confirms that he or she has performed a health examination of the animals and found that they did not display any signs of disease. The document must be supplemented by a declaration by the owner or the authorised person that the movement is non-commercial in nature. The identification document remains valid for 10 days after its issue. In case of transport by sea, the period of validity is extended by the duration of the sea journey.
------------------
have a careful read of the page:
Travelling to Norway with caged birds, rodents and rabbits | The Norwegian Food Safety Authority

Hi, last time we travelled by ferry there was separate customs line for people travelling with animals so if they "accidentally find it" you would need good excuse.... Only thing I've found is that rabbits, rodents don't need quarantine as long as they're travelling within EU and lived in the country last 4mts. This can be the only catch, to prove they've lived here past 4mts. It's rare for piggies to carry rabies. But with how tense the customs been recently it's best to check. How about checking with British embassy in the country, if language is problem?

uhmm, have a look at it, too:
Norway - Pet Passport - Current Dog and Cat Import Requirements
Other Animals
rabbits-turtles-other-animals.jpg

Up to 10 rabbits, rodents (chinchillas, guinea pigs, hamsters, domesticated rats and mice) may enter Norway with their owner for non-commercial purposes from EU Member States or other countries with an import permit issued within 48 hours of travel which is valid for 7 days. Pets must be acompanied by a statement that they were owned by the importer since birth or a minimum of the previous 6 months, accompanied by their owner, purchased from a breeder with a statement confirming prior ownership by the breeder and must be over 3 months of age. Rabbits must be vaccinated against RVHD or myzomatosis. All pets will be home quarantined for 30 days.

All pets mentioned above must enter Norway via Border Inspection Posts at Oslo Gardermoen or Storsko with 48 hour notification of their arrival.

Birds imported as pets are subject to the same conditions above, but must be checked for salmonella and not come from an area restricted for Newcastle or avian influenza disease. Birds must not have been vaccinated for Newcastle disease. There will be mandatory home quarantine for a period of 60 days.
--------------
:hb::hb::hb:
here guinea pigs are considerated rodents...
but actually they are not and would not need any certificate...
:(

:hb::hb::hb:
here guinea pigs are considerated rodents...
but actually they are not and would not need any certificate...
:(

That’s ok Guinea pigs ARE actually from the Rodentia order so they are indeed rodents.
They are just in a different tree to rats and mice. Guinea pig = family Caviidae, genus Cavia.
Rats and mice are family= Muridae, subfamily murinae (Mouse genus = mus, rat genus = rattus)

That’s ok Guinea pigs ARE actually from the Rodentia order so they are indeed rodents.
They are just in a different tree to rats and mice. Guinea pig = family Caviidae, genus Cavia.
Rats and mice are family= Muridae, subfamily murinae (Mouse genus = mus, rat genus = rattus)
actually they are NOT... and this was the right quibble used by an italian owner when he was stopped at the border; in fact also an official norwegian website doesn't include guineas among the rodents... they are lagomorphes...;) (like nutria)hence they should not need anything...
The rule is not clear, though, and of course at the border you will not find a biologist...:(
It seems to be necessary a vet certificate and talking of that italian forum there was a owner who had to put in quarantine the piggies (in Austria) because his certificate was not signed by a public vet (the ones working into public offices).
The truth is that you will have to do what an officer at the border wil ask for. Then if he is an idiot you can report him in future, in the meanwhile your piggies are there...

actually they are NOT... and this was the right quibble used by an italian owner when he was stopped at the border; in fact also an official norwegian website doesn't include guineas among the rodents... they are [you]lagomorphes[/you]...;) (like nutria)hence they should not need anything...
The rule is not clear, though, and of course at the border you will not find a biologist...:(
It seems to be necessary a vet certificate and talking of that italian forum there was a owner who had to put in quarantine the piggies (in Austria) because his certificate was not signed by a public vet (the ones working into public offices).
The truth is that you will have to do what an officer at the border wil ask for. Then if he is an idiot you can report him in future, in the meanwhile your piggies are there...
Still currently classed as Rodentia, it’s under debate but as long as they are there you may as well take advantage of rodent laws.
Currently Hystricognathi which are still of the order Rodentia but a different sub order.
Hystricognathi - Wikipedia
Guinea Pigs - Exotic and Laboratory Animals - Veterinary Manual

Last edited:
Still currently classed as Rodentia, it’s under debate but as long as they are there you may as well take advantage of rodent laws.
actually they are only classified lagomorphes like rabbits, too... but this does not matter when you have to pass a border where biology is not an interesting subject. Sweden for example has clearer rules and says: "guinea pigs will follow rodents' rules", but other countries are not clear. And the greatest problem is that when you inform yourself before the departure, you can get some wrong advice. Like me with the matter of the passport's picture of my daughter, my identity card absolutely valid, but not accepted in Switzerland (actually not everybody had troubles).
It would be better having a passport like ferrets...

I always found when we traveled with animals that did not have clear rules, it was best to be prepared.

Before we bought our rabbits and guinea pigs to Switzerland I went to my local vet and asked them to write a letter listing all of the animals, their descriptions, names, rough age etc. and state that they were my pets, and had been examined and found to be in good health.
This always seemed more than sufficient to address all concerns, that they were not breeding animals, etc.

Just don't get me started on the complexities involved in importing a rescue dog that Siwss customs decided should be taxed as he was 'valuable'.
I had to get him out of the crate to prove that he no longer had the 'equipment' that would make him valuable. :doh:
I learnt many new German words that day....

very good news! and by car you will not even stopped at the border Holland-Germany. You are right in wanting to have a paper, I also would prefer getting the same...
I hope you will have a good journey and travelling by car will allow you to have more luggages (and hay!):D

Thanks Rome! My wife got through to the right department in Norway who said that paperwork is not needed for three pet guineas. Yipee! so we have that in writing. The German embassy was very efficient, as you might expect, and came back to me on the same day that I emailed them. They gave it to us in writing that no paperwork is required. So all that is needed now is for the Dutch to respond. When I spoke to someone on the phone the telephone line was not clear so she kept saying 'so you are travelling with pigs? I said no!.... guinea pigs, you know? they are very popular pets for kids, like hamsters, but they are bigger. So she said ' so you will be travelling with big hamsters?' I think i'm more comfortable with emails. It also gives the embassy officials a chance to chuck my request for info regarding guinea pigs into the slightly less urgent pile. To be fair, I can't exactly fly into a fit of rage because they are not responding instantly to my demand for information about guinea pig travel. Although that didn't stop me from wording my emails to them with the kind of English which is fitting for a written communication with an official office. I wanted the reader to picture me as a man of class who probably wears a bow tie more often than not. I used bold statements like 'Its imperative' and 'matter of urgency'.

Rodents or not, I personally classify guinea pigs as little cuties. Here's a definition, taken from the dictionary of Probably True Facts *. Guinea pigs. A funny little creature of round and fluffy appearance. Often very squeaky in a happy sort of way, this species has a tendency to bounce all over the place, particularly when they know that foods coming. Guinea pigs often display a remarkable ability to detect the slicing of a cucumber no matter how far away the cucumber actually is. This also includes when the cucumber is sliced quietly. There has been debate over the classification of this species but rodentologists now agree that they should be assigned a class of their own. In 2009, after an international conference, guinea pigs were officially classed as cutiesqueakers of the sub genus (sg). Adorabalis.

* Probably True Facts is a fictional dictionary.

Back