vet bed backing - green or non slip?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
hi does it matter what backing is on the vet bed i buy? i’ve just bought the non slip one not realising you can get the green backing too, is this going to be a problem or can either be used?

I think the non slip one doesn’t wick through so in terms of bedding it can mean it stays wet
The green back one wicks through to an absorbent underlayer

got you! ill only be using it on the ladder though so would have thought it wouldn’t get too wet anyway? and also was thinking the non slip may help it stay gripped on the incline! can you remember which you used on your ramp?

I’ve only got the green backed one because I use the offcuts as bedding in summer

i wonder if they’re both made from the same thing apart from the backing? i’m thinking more the non slip simply because its only on the ramp and will help it grip on there

I’ve got the non-slip one here, it does get rather wet on the bottom after a big wee but the top is still dry (just messy for humans when you clean/shake it 😆).
I use it under beds/tunnels or to put hay piles on etc as it’s cut to different sizes. Think next time I buy some I’ll be getting the green backed though, just cuz I’m sick of getting pig pee in my mouth and face when I shake it not realising how wet it is! 🤢:))

I’ve got the non-slip one here, it does get rather wet on the bottom after a big wee but the top is still dry (just messy for humans when you clean/shake it 😆).
I use it under beds/tunnels or to put hay piles on etc as it’s cut to different sizes. Think next time I buy some I’ll be getting the green backed though, just cuz I’m sick of getting pig pee in my mouth and face when I shake it not realising how wet it is! 🤢:))

okay fab! as long as thats the only difference ill keep with the non slip one, its only to cover a ramp to help them get a bit of grip when running up and down so i’m thinking its not going to get too wet to have that problem but we’ll see😆

haha omg that did make me laugh, yummy!🤣🤣🤢

I've got both types here, they work exactly the same, the urine passes through to whatever absorbant layer you have underneath. The green back isn't quite as heavy for washing as the non slip.

thanks so much! does it need to be washed in a washing machine bag or is it okay just straight in? its only going to be cut into strips to cover a ramp so not too worried about the heaviness!

also does it need to be washed a couple of times before cutting? does it shrink at all? not sure if i should wait to cut it after its been washed!

It does shrink a bit, I always wash it a couple of times before cutting to make sure it's the right size on the ramps. I also wash it once after cutting to remove any lose fluffy bits they might inhale. Mine does tend to get covered in hay so I brush it off outside and wash in the wash bag with the fleece pee mats and cage liners.
One of my boars uses the bottom of the ramp as his favourite wee spot so his ramp cover is always soaked and gets changed at leat every other day!

I've got both types here, they work exactly the same, the urine passes through to whatever absorbant layer you have underneath.
I’m good at timing things right and cleaning and shaking them immediately after giant wees I think, when they’ve just done it so it’s fresh and warm and heading down! :)) :))

It does shrink a bit, I always wash it a couple of times before cutting to make sure it's the right size on the ramps. I also wash it once after cutting to remove any lose fluffy bits they might inhale. Mine does tend to get covered in hay so I brush it off outside and wash in the wash bag with the fleece pee mats and cage liners.
One of my boars uses the bottom of the ramp as his favourite wee spot so his ramp cover is always soaked and gets changed at leat every other day!

thanks so much!

hiya, recieved my vet bed today and hoping to get it in over the weekend! regarding washing.. did you wash and make sure to fully dry before washing again, or can i just chuck it in the machine and wash it 3 times, 1 after the other, without drying in between?

also do you brush it? i’ve read its good to brush with a slicker brush while wet before drying

My boys pee at the bottom of the ramp too. Odd.

so i washed and brushed out the vetbed and this much came off, does this look a normal amount or have i completely messed it up?🤣 it’s definitely now not clumpy (was before brushing) but now worried i’ve pulled too many fibres out!🥲

Attachments

• 575622C3-4DFA-423E-92A8-0ECE550D1D89.webp
    575622C3-4DFA-423E-92A8-0ECE550D1D89.webp
    87.8 KB · Views: 3
so i washed and brushed out the vetbed and this much came off, does this look a normal amount or have i completely messed it up?🤣 it’s definitely now not clumpy (was before brushing) but now worried i’ve pulled too many fibres out!🥲
A lot does come out when it's new. I'm sure it will be okay, at least the loose fibres are out now and won't clog your washing machine!

hiya, recieved my vet bed today and hoping to get it in over the weekend! regarding washing.. did you wash and make sure to fully dry before washing again, or can i just chuck it in the machine and wash it 3 times, 1 after the other, without drying in between?

also do you brush it? i’ve read its good to brush with a slicker brush while wet before drying
I just washed again without drying. I never brush it before drying, it gets a good brush to get the hay and hair off before washing. I don't use it in the whole cage any more as my elderly boars that needed it have gone. I now use it in smal pieces as ramp covers. One 5 year old I have is a big drinker and gets sore feet if he sits on damp fleece so he has small squares of vet bed in his hidies and favourite sleeping spots.

Back