Vet Bed And Toilet Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Inglis

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all... Looking to get Guinea pigs in next few weeks and doing homework. Have bought C&C page with loft and also Vetbed as my son has allergies that this should help with. Trouble is I don't quite know how best to set up cage to accommodate toilet, beds, eating. Happy to use hay in any area if that helps with piggies.. Help appreciated.

There is no set way to arrange a cage layout . Just make sure they have plenty of floor space to run around - and some hideys . A lot of forum members use hay trays ( a cat litter tray or cardboard box with an absorbant layer [ I use Aubiose] and a layer of hay ).

You'll get some idea from this thread

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Welcome to the Forum.
I am sure you will get lots of great advice on here, and there are many people using C&C cages with fleece or vet bed.

The best place to start would probably be the C&C thread in hosing.
I got loads of great idea from looking at how everyone else had arranged their cages on there.

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

My advice would be to plan on the guinea pigs not using the loft immediately, so I always makes sure I have at least a couple of food bowls and water bottles on each level.

And I also use large, high sided trays with hay in them. This helps reduce the amount of hay that gets tracked everywhere, as well as serving as a toilet area. I line the trays with newspaper and change them completely at least once a day. In addition ot the two hay trays I also have several hay bags with smaller amounts of their special hay in (just a different hay from the main one!).

The main thing to keep in mind is pigs tend to poo where they eat. So if you're wanting the vetbed as the toilet area it's a good idea to put it right by the hay, so they stand on it whilst eating hay. This will encourage most of the toilet activities to be done in the vetbed..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back