• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Very worried, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayneG

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Am very worried about my Eric. This morning I noticed that his breathing was a little laboured and took him straight to the vet.

His brother Jack died back in November and this was how his illness started. I took Jack to a vet who gave him Baytril. He seemed to improve a tiny bit, but then suddenly died a few weeks later.

I took Eric to a different vet this morning and explained that I was worried the same thing was happening. He seemed to know more about GP's and the fact that their metabolism for processing antibiotics is quicker etc. He gave him a jab of baytril and I also have to give him 2.4mg twice daily, keep an eye on him and take him back Friday. He said that baytril is the usual approved antibiotic, but I'm sure I've read that there is something that's better, anyone know?

I can't go through this again. I guess I'm a bit nervous about trusting a new vet. I just didn't trust the last one.

No. He listened to his chest quite a bit and agreed that his breathing is a little laboured. Do they ever really know WHAT it is? I'm scared because this is how Jack's illness started. I guess that must have ended up being pneumonia or something respiratory infection.

Yes he's been eating, haven't noticed him drink but he still might be. Will have to keep a closer eye.

fingers crossed for your little man, its hard trusting your vet but what more can you do except maybe ringing Vedra and getting her advice,

No it's fine, I know you're right, it happened with Eric's brother Jack. It was quick. I guess I should be dosing him up with nice vitamin c veggies and keeping him warm.

so sorry for you and can understand how you feel. i lost a gp in November to and at the moment gizmo is fighting pneumonia.

he had gone to the vets and i was told nothing was wrong with him even though i knew there was. he was put on baytril and a week later i went back and was told he had pneumonia, two weeks later i took him back, this time i got a different vet in the practice and was told be ready to put him asleep but no way was i doing that.

the last vet i saw is very blunt but good but i felt the one i had seen twice before didn't know and didn't have an interest in gp. i couldn't' go back to the same vets so i to moved o a new one.

they left him on the medication from the old vets and said it wasn't one they used but if i felt it was doing him good to carry on.

cant remember the one they use apart from that it began with t.... not much help

the one gizmo is on is zithromax suspension, unlicensed for gp.

hes on four drops of vit c per day.

gizmo was up and down like a yo yo ,atleast your vet is showing an interest.

you seem to know what to do, just remember extra celery and cucumber flush out the system :)

5 weeks on now and gizmo ,fingers crossed seems to be improving.

lots of hugs and follow your instinct ;)

Thank you Tawny. I so hope Gizmo recovers. He's been ill for quite a few weeks then? You are both obviously fighting hard, my fingers are crossed for you. Eric is no worse today, but no better. I'm going to take him back to the vet tomorrow morning if there's no change. The vet mentioned giving him steroids if the baytril doesn't improve him, but said that there may be side effects to this. I don't know whether I should let Eric have them or not, but am not an expert. Shan't go over doing the celery and cucumber then as I don't want him flushing out the antiobiotics even more quickly. It's difficult enough to get it into him in the first place. Love n Hugs to our gorgeous guineas x

:) Phone CCT on 07721 026401 to text/phone your message. :) before you visit your vet. They will ask the right questions and be able to advise on treatment.

Forgot to say when you text leave your name as Vedra obviously won't have it. If you're not a member you will need to join after your first phone call :) Good luck :)

Will she phone me if I text or is it easier for me to just call her or will she be too busy?!

Send a text and she can text back a convenient time to call her or call her and see if she is busy.

Well I've sent Vedra a text asking when is a good time to call her about Eric's breathing problems, so am waiting to hear. What is Vedra like? I've heard lots of nice things about her. She must be so busy. Has anyone been out to the CCT? I'd love to go out and look.

:) I'd perhaps give her a call as well.

I've been to the previous CCT and Top Farm, but not Splash Lane. Vedra is how you find her...

Ok I spoke to her. She says Eric should have a diuretic (Frusemide 0.1-0.2mg) as a one off, and an anti-inflammatory (Dexadresson 0.2ml). Going to see the vet in the morning to gently suggest it. YIKES! But if that's what Eric needs, that's what Eric will get. Will be batting my eyelashes! Vedra is one knowledgeable lady!

:) Gently does it, yes. I've had some rotters in the past that won't listen, but my latest vet is a gem, so much that she isn't a challenge anymore and I want to move on LOL!
Hope all goes well :) Take the CCT number with you in case they want to check with the vet there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back