• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Very Stubborn Bloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrypigs Sanctuary

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Needing some advice!
Tina was very overweight when she was surrendered and as she has been on a diet and has begun to lose some, it's become apparent she has bloat.
We've tried massage, jiggling, Buscopan, gripe water, Simeticone, liquid paraffin in case of blockage... nothing is working. She's eating and drinking fine, her usual self. She appears to be pooping normally too. The bloat seems to soften but never fully, and then comes back.
She's having minimal veg (to persuade her to open her mouth for a syringe!) and is still stuffing hay. She currently weighs 1.11kg and is 4.5 years old.
Could it be ovarian cysts? She has no hair thinning or hormonal behaviour...
Could she have worms? I can't tell if she's lost weight due to her diet or because of them. She lives with her 'sister' who is absolutely fine. She went to the vets on Thursday and will be going back on Monday, but can anyone give some advice?

Thank you!
PS. In the image Titi is the darker pig.

IMG_20161019_204037995.webp

Hi and welcome!

Your girl's weight is totally fine. It may be worth having a scan/x-ray done to see whether there is an underlying issue that is causing the bloat.

One issue that could contribute to persistent bloating issues could be the pellets. It may be worth trialling a grain-free brand, like these ones here.
JR Farm Grainless Complete Guinea Pig | Free P&P £29+ at zooplus!
Versele-Laga Cavia Complete Guinea Pig Food | Free P&P £29+

@Adelle @helen105281 @Elwickcavies
Thank you for replying!
I'm leaning towards x-ray or scan too... do you think cysts might be a possibility? I'm worried she has a blockage...
She's getting on a little, do you think she'd take the anaesthetic ok?

Thank you for replying!
I'm leaning towards x-ray or scan too... do you think cysts might be a possibility? I'm worried she has a blockage...
She's getting on a little, do you think she'd take the anaesthetic ok?

The good news is that she cannot have a full blockage, as she would be off her food and water.

Scans can be done with minimal gassing. There are also less invasive alternatives to a spay if ovarian cysts are involved that do not require a full GA. However, until then all we can do is guess.

Thanks Wiebke. Fingers crossed for Titi! Will see if our Stafford store stock either of those foods tomorrow. I think they stock the Rosewood grain free one :)

I think you can only get those 2 foods online on Zooplus but you could try the Rosewood ones.

Titi is back :D
We took her to the nearest vet that was recommended on here, Vets4Pets in Shelfield. Nadine and the others were AMAZING, really put us at ease and they loved Tina!
As our local vet was at a loss as to what to do, Nadine suggested Tina stay in overnight and have an x-ray (they wouldn't even need to anaesthetise her for it) and if needed insert a stomach tube :/
However this morning they called to let us know her bloat is almost gone and she could come home!
Tina looks so much better and is very sleepy after her adventures! Nadine was very knowledgeable about pigs which was great.
Happy pig, happy owner!

That's brilliant news, do you know what they did to make the bloat go away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back