Very New And Needing Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachelanne

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I am a new owner and I decided instead of purchasing a pair of pigs, to rescue a pair. I rescued a pair of 3 year old males, who came as a pair of brothers, and I'm having some trouble with them. I have a very vague idea of how they were handled and cared for before so I am not to sure what they were accustomed too. I just know they came from a woman who had over 15 pigs because she surrendered them all, and told them that my boys could only go together and not with any of her other pigs. One of my males, named Jinkx is very aggressive towards everyone and won't let anyone get near him unless they have food in hand, he's also very aggressive towards his brother, who I was told he's been with all his life. My other male pig, Divine is very timid and frightened, which I completely expect, but I feel as if he doesn't get along with Jinkx because of Jinkx's aggressive nature. Basically Jinkx chases him away from everything and won't let him go in any hides, like if Divine goes in one Jinkx immediately runs him out, but he does let him eat with him, because I did give them separate bowls and they end up just eating out of one together. I guess I'm just looking for advice with handling rescued pigs and if there any tips/tricks on gaining their trust.

Oh & also chew suggestions because they won't chew on any of the chew sticks or blocks I've gotten them.

So I am a new owner and I decided instead of purchasing a pair of pigs, to rescue a pair. I rescued a pair of 3 year old males, who came as a pair of brothers, and I'm having some trouble with them. I have a very vague idea of how they were handled and cared for before so I am not to sure what they were accustomed too. I just know they came from a woman who had over 15 pigs because she surrendered them all, and told them that my boys could only go together and not with any of her other pigs. One of my males, named Jinkx is very aggressive towards everyone and won't let anyone get near him unless they have food in hand, he's also very aggressive towards his brother, who I was told he's been with all his life. My other male pig, Divine is very timid and frightened, which I completely expect, but I feel as if he doesn't get along with Jinkx because of Jinkx's aggressive nature. Basically Jinkx chases him away from everything and won't let him go in any hides, like if Divine goes in one Jinkx immediately runs him out, but he does let him eat with him, because I did give them separate bowls and they end up just eating out of one together. I guess I'm just looking for advice with handling rescued pigs and if there any tips/tricks on gaining their trust.

Oh & also chew suggestions because they won't chew on any of the chew sticks or blocks I've gotten them.

Hi and welcome!

You may find the detailed guides in our new owners' information kit helpful, as a number touches on behaviours, settling in and how to make friends with them in piggy body language - or if you want to use the catchy term - guinea whispering. " Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

What you are witnessing is the inevitable dominance behaviour as any guinea pig groups needs to re-establish their hierarchy in any new territory. it will hopefully die down eventually as Jinkx is settling in and feeling more confident in himself. As he is still happily sharing his food with Divine, it is not veering into bullying territory. Just make sure that any hideys have got two exits, if possible, during this phase and that any hideys are spaced well away from the others, so Jinkx can physically not control them all all the time.

Chewing toys are not necessary and are therefore usually ignored by the guinea pigs. Up to 80% of the daily diet should be hay. The silica in it is what keeps the crucial back teeth ground down evenly and the guts healthy for the long term. If the molars and premolars are in full working order, the incisors are self-sharpening and don't need any interference or artificial help whatsoever. Overgrown incisors are usually a sign of overgrown premolars. As long as you offer unlimited hay (whether that is timothy, orchard or meadow hay), there shouldn't be any issues.

Hi and welcome!

You may find the detailed guides in our new owners' information kit helpful, as a number touches on behaviours, settling in and how to make friends with them in piggy body language - or if you want to use the catchy term - guinea whispering. " Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

What you are witnessing is the inevitable dominance behaviour as any guinea pig groups needs to re-establish their hierarchy in any new territory. it will hopefully die down eventually as Jinkx is settling in and feeling more confident in himself. As he is still happily sharing his food with Divine, it is not veering into bullying territory. Just make sure that any hideys have got two exits, if possible, during this phase and that any hideys are spaced well away from the others, so Jinkx can physically not control them all all the time.

Chewing toys are not necessary and are therefore usually ignored by the guinea pigs. Up to 80% of the daily diet should be hay. The silica in it is what keeps the crucial back teeth ground down evenly and the guts healthy for the long term. If the molars and premolars are in full working order, the incisors are self-sharpening and don't need any interference or artificial help whatsoever. Overgrown incisors are usually a sign of overgrown premolars. As long as you offer unlimited hay (whether that is timothy, orchard or meadow hay), there shouldn't be any issues.

Thank you so much! I was very worried because I wasn't seeing them chew and I didn't want their teeth to become over grown, I didn't know that hay helped with that. They both eat a very large amount of timothy hay daily. As for the hides, they are spaced a good amount apart Jinkx just runs out of one and across the cage to get in the one Divine is using and just keeps doing that until Divine just gives up and stays out of all of them. Also two out of three of the hides have 2 openings. Should I get another?

I would take out the hidey with only one exit til things settle down.You only separate if blood drawn or the one being chased all the time is depressed.As said before it may settled down once they are used to their new home.A tip I use is when I clean out I leave the hideys so there I'd familiar smells in the cage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back