Very nervous new pigs!

Rmanners

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi new time pig owner here! I adopted a pair of 12 week old boys last week.

I have read so many taming techniques, all say to start with offering them food in their hide and move your hand away and they will eat it, then move on from there….

Mine just sit terrified at the back of the hide and no matter how long I stay in the room they won’t move a muscle!

It’s only been a week….is this normal? Everyone says bond with food but it feel’s impossible right now!

Thank you for any advice ❤️

Welcome to the forum

Yes this is very normal. We recommend you leave them to settle in for a week before trying to interact with them. Even then it can take many weeks or even months for them to become confident.

I have four boys (not living together though!) and of my oldest two it took six weeks for one of them to take food from me but it took the other one 18 months.
The youngest two were well handled from very young and were confident immediately.
They are all different and it is important to take it at their pace but patience is key!

Welcome to the forum!

Piggies are prey animals so their natural mode is "I'm going to be eaten". They don't know that you're never going eat them you have to teach them that. It takes time and patience for a prey animal to trust you. Do you have any hideys so that they feel safe? Have you covered up part of the cage with a blanket to make them feel safe? They are in a new environment with a big smelly (to them) giant and their prey instincts are kicking in. One of which is to stay still cos then you might get bored of them and go away. They will be out and about at night when nobody is around. Just look for the poops in the morning. Make sure they have hay next to them so that they don't have to venture far and that the water is close by. Put food in the cage close to them too. Here is a link to our guide on settling in new piggies.

Settling In And Making Friends With Guinea Pigs - A Guide

The Piggy Whispering techniques are very good. The best one is to make a noise as you approach them as a predator is silent. I always say "hello" to my piggies in the morning, then give them their breakfast pellets. In the afternoon I say "dindins" which means veg and in the evening when I tuck them in for the night it's "who wants a pea flake" as they get 3 peaflakes and 3 dried apple chunks each evening for supper while it's still cold as they live in the garage and it helps to build up their winter reserves. Then they have a bowl of forage. If you use the same words every time they will eventually learn what it all means. Piggies like routine and will soon get used to it and learn what to expect.

Your piggies are still only babies and without the older members of their herd they will be feeling very lost at the moment until they get used to their new surroundings.

Piggies like routine and will soon get used to it and learn what to expect.

Cam has learnt that my voice means "oh human!" and therefore "hey human we're hungry WE'RE HUNGRY" Because you can't teach them, but they'll still learn lol.

@Rmanners I tend to just sit nearby them for a while. Not close, just nearby. If I need to speak, it's not quietly as such, just calmly, evenly. Just...don't rustle bags near them, even accidentally. Two things a guinea pig is guaranteed to learn - what the fridge door sounds like, and what a rustling bag sounds like.

Welcome to the forum!

Piggies are prey animals so their natural mode is "I'm going to be eaten". They don't know that you're never going eat them you have to teach them that. It takes time and patience for a prey animal to trust you. Do you have any hideys so that they feel safe? Have you covered up part of the cage with a blanket to make them feel safe? They are in a new environment with a big smelly (to them) giant and their prey instincts are kicking in. One of which is to stay still cos then you might get bored of them and go away. They will be out and about at night when nobody is around. Just look for the poops in the morning. Make sure they have hay next to them so that they don't have to venture far and that the water is close by. Put food in the cage close to them too. Here is a link to our guide on settling in new piggies.

Settling In And Making Friends With Guinea Pigs - A Guide

The Piggy Whispering techniques are very good. The best one is to make a noise as you approach them as a predator is silent. I always say "hello" to my piggies in the morning, then give them their breakfast pellets. In the afternoon I say "dindins" which means veg and in the evening when I tuck them in for the night it's "who wants a pea flake" as they get 3 peaflakes and 3 dried apple chunks each evening for supper while it's still cold as they live in the garage and it helps to build up their winter reserves. Then they have a bowl of forage. If you use the same words every time they will eventually learn what it all means. Piggies like routine and will soon get used to it and learn what to expect.

Your piggies are still only babies and without the older members of their herd they will be feeling very lost at the moment until they get used to their new surroundings.
yes they have hides and a blanket over the other end of the cage, they are definitely coming out at night there is poop everywhere and they are munching through all the food! I will be happy if they would just be in the cage so I could see them enjoying life a bit more! I will keep trying to build a routine and hope that one day they will leave the hide! Or pigloo as I call it 😂

Welcome to the forum

Yes this is very normal. We recommend you leave them to settle in for a week before trying to interact with them. Even then it can take many weeks or even months for them to become confident.

I have four boys (not living together though!) and of my oldest two it took six weeks for one of them to take food from me but it took the other one 18 months.
The youngest two were well handled from very young and were confident immediately.
They are all different and it is important to take it at their pace but patience is key!
Welcome to the forum

They are all different and it is important to take it at their pace but patience is I’m not worried about pushing them into interacting with me straight away, just
Welcome to the forum

I am not fussed to make them interact with me right away I would be happy if I could at least see them and watch them enjoying themselves, atm it feels like I’m putting food into an empty cage every day 😂

Cam has learnt that my voice means "oh human!" and therefore "hey human we're hungry WE'RE HUNGRY" Because you can't teach them, but they'll still learn lol.

@Rmanners I tend to just sit nearby them for a while. Not close, just nearby. If I need to speak, it's not quietly as such, just calmly, evenly. Just...don't rustle bags near them, even accidentally. Two things a guinea pig is guaranteed to learn - what the fridge door sounds like, and what a rustling bag sounds like.
They are only one room away from the kitchen so that might become a noise they get used to 😂 I will keep speaking to them and hope I get somewhere

I am not fussed to make them interact with me right away I would be happy if I could at least see them and watch them enjoying themselves, atm it feels like I’m putting food into an empty cage every day 😂

It will happen! You’ll soon be trying to remember what it was like when they were quiet - in no time you’ll be getting excited shouts from them just for opening the fridge!

A week is such a short amount of time for them to feel safe and settled.
Even if they have always been together, in a new environment and territory they also have to re-establish their relationship so there is a lot going on for them at the moment.

Welcome, glad to have you! My little ones (actually not so little anymore) were also very timid at first. As of today they’re two very brave and curious girls! With lots of attitude :roll:

Your boys will settle in and grow confidence over time! Do update us!

It will happen! You’ll soon be trying to remember what it was like when they were quiet - in no time you’ll be getting excited shouts from them just for opening the fridge!

A week is such a short amount of time for them to feel safe and settled.
Even if they have always been together, in a new environment and territory they also have to re-establish their relationship so there is a lot going on for them at the moment.
You are right a week is so short I am being impatient 😂 I just want to make sure I’m doing it the right way, someone told me to keep holding them everyday but they seem so frightened it didn’t seem right.

yes they have hides and a blanket over the other end of the cage, they are definitely coming out at night there is poop everywhere and they are munching through all the food! I will be happy if they would just be in the cage so I could see them enjoying life a bit more! I will keep trying to build a routine and hope that one day they will leave the hide! Or pigloo as I call it 😂
Give them time. Once they have re-established their relationship and got their bearings they will be brave enough to venture out. First of all you will probably see just a flash of piggy as they run for their safe place when you enter their room.

The Goblins still run a mile at the first sign of needing handled. They'll eat food from me and everything else but I'm not allowed to touch them, lol. Skinnies, who'd have them? But I'm not worried so much about that. They're comfortable with me in every other way, they're allowed a quirk or two. But I'd give them a few weeks before regular handling, unless they're ill and need it.

When I first adopted Lexi and Thea, they were completely terrified of everything with time and patience and a lot of love, 16 months on they are happy confident girls completely unrecognisable from the timid little things they were. Lexi was also the fastest piggie I had ever come across she would bolt and anything and everything. Now she is a lot more chilled.

I'm a new piggie owner too, we got two 10 week old girls (6.5 weeks ago) and like yours they wouldn't come near us, now it's a different matter, as soon as I enter the room they're out the hidey and over to the bars screaming at me for morals of food, they'll climb onto my hand and eat food put of it. They still won't let me pick them up easily though so I've come to terms with that haha.

Persevere, they'll soon build the trust.

You are right a week is so short I am being impatient 😂 I just want to make sure I’m doing it the right way, someone told me to keep holding them everyday but they seem so frightened it didn’t seem right.

I don’t believe in holding them everyday unless they want to do so. I prefer to follow their lead.

Most piggies don’t like being caught - regardless of how long you’ve had them.
After being picked up, some learn to like and csn
really enjoy a cuddle , some manage to just about tolerate it for the routine weekly weight and health checks, some thoroughly hate it.
My two five year olds have been with me since they were 4 months old and they still hate being picked up but they tolerate a five minute handling for the weekly weight and health checks - they have never wanted anything more.
For them, my physical interaction (aside from having to handle them for the weight, health checks, nail clips etc) is sitting in their playpen and letting them come to me if they wish to do so. They have however mellowed a lot with age (as boars tend to) and they do like to come and see me a lot more than they used to.
My youngest two (6 months old now) used to love being handled but now they are grumpy teenagers they are preferring me to be a bit more hands off but are still considerably more affectionate than my older boys!

I'm a new piggie owner too, we got two 10 week old girls (6.5 weeks ago) and like yours they wouldn't come near us, now it's a different matter, as soon as I enter the room they're out the hidey and over to the bars screaming at me for morals of food, they'll climb onto my hand and eat food put of it. They still won't let me pick them up easily though so I've come to terms with that haha.

Persevere, they'll soon build the trust.
Ok this is all filling me with confidence! Can I ask what what you did to get them at this point? I think I am clearly expecting too much too soon!

Ok this is all filling me with confidence! Can I ask what what you did to get them at this point? I think I am clearly expecting too much too soon!
I was too, I thought I'd get them home and they'd be sitting in my lap immediately. Didn't happen haha.

I just sat with them and talked to them, placed little bits of food at the entrance to the hidey at 1st so they'd come and grab it then move back, gradually they'd come further forward and stay there while they ate it. By about 2 weeks they'd take out my hand and scurry back to eat and now they literally run to the bars screaming at me for food 😂

Welcome to the forum
It does take a little bit of time for them to trust you but you will get there, it takes time and patience but will be well worth it x

Welcome to the forum.
When I rescued Priscilla and Phoebe, Priscilla was pure Attitude with fur while Phoebe ran to hide at any noise.
I rarely hold mine, usually only for health checks and vet trips.
Mostly I sit and talk to them on the floor by their cage.
Sometimes I am permitted to stroke a head.
They all , now, come to the bars for food, wheek very loudly if they hear a bag rustle, the front door open, the fridge door open or simply they think i’s time to be fed.
Lots of time and patience will win their trust.

Welcome to the forum.
When I rescued Priscilla and Phoebe, Priscilla was pure Attitude with fur while Phoebe ran to hide at any noise.
I rarely hold mine, usually only for health checks and vet trips.
Mostly I sit and talk to them on the floor by their cage.
Sometimes I am permitted to stroke a head.
They all , now, come to the bars for food, wheek very loudly if they hear a bag rustle, the front door open, the fridge door open or simply they think i’s time to be fed.
Lots of time and patience will win their trust.
That sounds so cute! I would be so happy just to be able to feed them and hear them make little noises! Right now they still hide at the back of their hide and won’t even eat or move a muscle if I'm in the room!

I was too, I thought I'd get them home and they'd be sitting in my lap immediately. Didn't happen haha.

I just sat with them and talked to them, placed little bits of food at the entrance to the hidey at 1st so they'd come and grab it then move back, gradually they'd come further forward and stay there while they ate it. By about 2 weeks they'd take out my hand and scurry back to eat and now they literally run to the bars screaming at me for food 😂
I am going to preserve with giving them veggies etc and hope they get braver, they are still frozen statues in the hide if I’m even in the room, I will be shocked if i even see them eat in the hide after 2 weeks 😂 I must have picked out 2 particularly shy pigs!

I am going to preserve with giving them veggies etc and hope they get braver, they are still frozen statues in the hide if I’m even in the room, I will be shocked if i even see them eat in the hide after 2 weeks 😂 I must have picked out 2 particularly shy pigs!
Keep a few pellets back from their daily portion. Nothing brings out a shy piggie faster than some pellets haha. They'll get there.

That sounds so cute! I would be so happy just to be able to feed them and hear them make little noises! Right now they still hide at the back of their hide and won’t even eat or move a muscle if I'm in the room!
It takes time. It took Phoebe over 6 weeks just to stop running away.
Be patient

If they're that nervous I would put a blanket over the whole cage - not covering the front but covering the whole of the top. Their biggest fear is birds, so having something above their heads will make them much more comfortable. It will also stop you appearing to loom over them when you walk past. This is not a permanent arrangement, just some extra reassurance for them while they are in this nervous phase.

Also stop and talk to them as much as you can in a gentle, friendly tone. Human voices are not dissimilar to the sounds guinea pigs make when they are contented, so over time they will start to think of you that way and take the sound of your voice as an indication that everything is safe.

Then like everyone else says, give them time. They will take as long as they take, but eventually they will find their confidence.

Back