Very boisterous sow!

piggymad28

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

I currently have a herd of three sows; Luna (5), Lucy and Rosie (sisters, both 1). They've been a group of three since March last year and have had no issues until recently.

Rosie has started to rumblestrut a lot. She tries to mount Luna, who makes a lot of noise about this. She has also started to chase her poor sister Lucy, who has been protesting against this as well.

I've not had a sow behave like this in my 5 years of piggie ownership (in that time I've lost 2 sows and one boar). There hasn't been any fighting so I see no reason to separate the herd. Its not happening all the time, they happily eat together etc.

I wondered if maybe Rosie is trying to take over the herd as leader from Luna due to Luna's age?

Rosie hasn't been spayed (neither has Luna or Lucy) and perhaps her hormones are an issue.

Argh! She looks adorable but is behaving like a devil right now.

Any advice ?

It could be a play for leadership or a really strong season?
Has she got any hormonal sign (apart from attitude) like crusty nipples or losing fur from her belly? Perhaps a vet check if it continues but she seems a bit young for ovarian cysts

I've checked her nipples and belly and there's no signs, no signs of lumps etc. It only started on Monday so I guess we will have to wait and see, but I will definitely get her checked out if it continues!

Yes I’d agree that it might be a strong season. Definitely keep an eye on the situation. I hope she calms down!

Hi and welcome
See whether things settle down again within a day or so; in this case it is a strong season.
If the behaviour continues unabated for more than 1-2 weeks, then please have her checked for active hormonal ovarian cysts; the worst culprits are often rather small cysts during a little growth spurt.
The classic signs like crusty nipples are a giveaway but very often you do not see any external pointers. Hormonal ovarian cyst can start around 18 months and are most active around 2-4 years before the they are overtaken by 'silent' non-hormonal fluid-filled ones that can grow very large but earlier cases do occasionally happen.

You may find the information in these links here helpful:
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

Thankfully Miss Rosie Posie has calmed down, much to the relief of Lucy, Luna and her piggie parents 😂 seems that it was indeed a strong season.

I have 4 girls and they often mount each other when in season, strutt about and generally be bossy only lasts a day or two but varies which one it is haha.

Back