• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

very bad eyes

• Thread starter Thread starter hayleyandjohn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hayleyandjohn

Hi,

I have 3 teddie babies that are about 1 week old now. Since they were born their have had funny eyes. Its like their bottom lid has not developed properly and their hair is constantly in their eyes. I left it as i thought after a few days they might develop however, after few days they started to get blue cloudyness (which i have seen before) so i gave them drops of fucithalmic, it never got any better, i think it was causing the hair to stay permenantly in the eye. So now i am giving them another eye drop which lubs the eye and it SEEMS to be working. However the eyes look red raw! I cry everytime i have to give them drops becuase i feel so so bad for them.
I know if i take them to the vets they would only give me fucithalmic and i have had nightmares of them saying the only thing they can do is put them down. Could someone please help!?

OOoO I'm unsure to be honest :-\

Cloudiness means the eye is healing...

I am not sure what you mean by the hair in the eye, do you have any pics?

I would still def take them to the vets and get their opinion :)

Oh i'm so sorry, i have no idea, that's not an area i've ever had to deal with. I'm sure Mary or Karen will be along soon and help you O0
Wishing you all the very very best for your little ones :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

From Guinea Lynx
http://www.guinealynx.com/eyes.html
Entropion
Entropion is the turning in of the eyelashes and irritation of the eye experienced by some newborns. The eye may turn milky white and develop a corneal ulcer. Teddies, Rexes, and Texels tend to be more prone to entropion than other breeds. In most cases pups outgrow this condition after a few weeks. The irritation can be eased by applying a sterile eye lubricant such as Stye several times during the day. Stye is available at most pharmacies near the eye and contact lens products. Ophthalmic BNP is another product that can be applied 3 or 4 times a day. Some pet owners work the lashes out of the eye when applying this ointment. Entropion is generally genetic. Josephine observed:

"I had a pair of Crested Satin sows from a huge inbred colony (started with two pigs living in a chicken coop and turned into more than 30). Depending upon the degree of problem, BNP can and should be applied. Artificial tear ointment at the least to minimize corneal abrasion. One sow corrected herself giving it a couple of weeks and a steroid ophthalmic. The other had bilateral entropion. She had one eye that got better with the steroids and one that required surgery. The procedure went really well.

"It is a painful condition, so pain meds should be considered if it is going to be more than a few weeks to surgery. It is difficult, though since you don't want to give NSAIDS. Sometimes a topical anesthetic preparation (proparacaine) can help.

"There are several schools of thought on this one. Some vets will "tack" the eyelids when they are very young to prevent going to the full surgery later. It has to be done while they are small. Some wait and do the full surgery later if indicated."

Louise
x

PerfectPiggies said:
OOoO I'm unsure to be honest :-\

Cloudiness means the eye is healing...

I am not sure what you mean by the hair in the eye, do you have any pics?

I would still def take them to the vets and get their opinion :)

Its like their lid is folded inside the eye so the hair is sticking in. When i was at the vets before the cloudyness was oedema (swelling) i think?

Thankyou so much Louise! I think thats it! Youre a star, i was quite glad when i read the bit that they grow out of it!

Thats a really interesting read S&T, even if thats not the problem, great to know :)

It does sound like Entropion from what you have said :-\

No worries hun, I'm still learning about Guineas but if there is one thing I can do online is search out info! :)

Hope they are going to be ok, take some pics when you can they sound lovely. If you are worried do go the vet though. :)

Hugs,

Louise
x

2 of them have it in both eyes but one of them only has it on one of his eyes, bless him.

Thanks for all your help!

I had a little Rex boar born with this problem H&J and his lashes/hair rubbed a small ulcer on his eye. I was given some antibiotic drops/cream from the vet to put in his eye and I used to bath the eye twice a day with a cotton pad and warm boiled water, gradually encouraging the eyelid/lashes to turn the right way. When the eye turns opaque/cloudy it is usually a sign that things are on the mend, it's the way the eye heals itself. Curly is now a strapping 3lb with perfect eyes O0

Hope your little chaps improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back