Ventilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millcroft12

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi everyone! If you read my last thread you will know i am embarking on making my own indoor hutch after finding bought ones too small. I am getting there now but just had a question re ventilation that I'm hoping the experts can help me with! So far my hutch has no ventilation, I was thinking of using Perspex for the doors for light but to stop hay etc going everywhere and drilling holes right around the side and back of the hutch and cutting long strips of wood away from the large top. Does this sound like enough? Thanks!

I'd advise against perspex on a hutch, indoors or outdoors. It tends to limit ventilation even with gaps and cause condensation, and makes the hutch too cold during the winter and too hot during the summer. Drilled holes generally won't be enough, and gaps sort of defeat the point of a roof. I'd lean towards traditional doors with metal barring or meshing.

Thank you, that's really helpful. I'm converting a very big wooden sideboard into an indoor hutch. It currently has large glass doors at the front. I'm actually considering just leaving them and cutting off the top and replacing with metal mesh. What do you think? I'd rather the top than front as I don't want hay everywhere! Thanks!

It sounds like quite the project!
It would probably help a lot if you were able to post a couple of photos, and then people would be able to offer specific suggestions.
Personally I wold say the more ventilation the better, and although glass on the front could work, it might not depending on the size and otehr ventilation options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back