Veggies help!

Rebecca01

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
I am so confused! Recently my two 4 week old pups I have noticed a bit of white stuff by their genitals- I’m now paranoid I’ve been giving them too much of stuff!

I cut out all high calcium veg eg parsley kale
And daily I give the 4 girls sone lettuce (either a mixed leaf lettuce or romaine), coriander, cucumber, a bit of green bean and pepper: they never usually eat the pepper
I’m now paranoid that I’ve been feeding too much of something and causing them to get too much calcium, causing the ‘discharge’ looking stuff. I thought all of these were safe veggies daily, should I be limiting?

Also if they are struggling with high calcium (I’m only predicting at the mo that this is what this is and will keep an eye), will I have done any serious damage over the first four weeks of their lives? They e only just started munching lots of veggies over the last week or so as before they were only eating small anounts
Just worried I’ve done the wrong thing and will have caused issues for them!

They are safe daily veg, although I would not feed beans daily.

Most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and drinking water, not veg.
Make sure pellets are limited and water is filtered.

Do also bear in mind that a diet too low in calcium is just as bad as one which is too high so you need to find the balance which works for you/them.
For example, I hardly feed any pellets (just 5 pellets each twice a week). I live in a hard water area so water is filtered. Due to those two things, I do actually feed a little kale and parsley without worry.

Do also bear in mind that a diet too low in calcium is just as bad as one which is too high so you need to find the balance which works for you/them.
For example, I hardly feed any pellets (just 5 pellets each twice a week). I live in a hard water area so water is filtered. Due to those two things, I do actually feed a little kale and parsley without worry.
I’ve just ordered a water filter jug as looking at how much calcium is in the water near me hopefully cutting. This out means I feel better about introducing more higher calcium veg again!
The older girls are about 5 months old and the babies are 4 weeks- the high calcium water won’t have caused any serious issues already would it? Noticed no issues with the older girls

And just for today they’ve got bottled mineral water as the label says only 40mg/l calcium compared to about 90 in the tap water!

For reference I’m now not even sure this is calcium deposit, but maybe where they just aren’t that good at cleaning themselves up yet! White baby is cleaner today but can see brown around her white fur from poo🙃 but brown baby still has the sort of yellow bits so I’ve given her a clean. If anyone has any bright ideas

Attachments

• b44f3e8e-55a8-4f69-b187-9750da600980.webp
    b44f3e8e-55a8-4f69-b187-9750da600980.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 1
  • d9370d72-643b-466f-b1bf-852f88461065.webp
    d9370d72-643b-466f-b1bf-852f88461065.webp
    41.9 KB · Views: 1
For reference I’m now not even sure this is calcium deposit, but maybe where they just aren’t that good at cleaning themselves up yet! White baby is cleaner today but can see brown around her white fur from poo🙃 but brown baby still has the sort of yellow bits so I’ve given her a clean. If anyone has any bright ideas
I wouldn't be that worried about 'too much' calcium at that young age, baby piggies will need a bit more calcium than adults in order to grow properly. Also, as they are so young, it's highly unlikely that any problems would come about that quickly from feeding high calcium veggies.

Regarding the mineral water though, the Tesco Ashbeck water is only 17mgs calcium per liter, so that would probably be better long term for you to get, if you can.

We buy bottled water from Tesco, it has much lower calcium than the other brands. But a water filter jug would be much more cost effective and better for the environment too ☺️

Back