Veggies first thing?

Spaniel

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Probably a silly question but is it ok for the piggies to have veggies first thing in the morning, before anything else? Seems wrong somehow to do fresh food before dry, but I guess they would have been eating hay through the night?

Used to be pellets first but they’re not having them now.

Not a silly question.
It doesn’t matter at all.

My piggies don’t get pellets every day (they get them about three times a week).
I give hay and dried forage in the mornings, hay and veg in the evenings. ( If it is a pellet day, they have them in the morning instead of the forage).

Not a silly question.
It doesn’t matter at all.

My piggies don’t get pellets every day (they get them about three times a week).
I give hay and dried forage in the mornings, hay and veg in the evenings. ( If it is a pellet day, they have them in the morning instead of the forage).
Thank you.

I’d love to put hay in first but Perry won’t eat any before he’s had something else so it used to be pellets, hay pile (ignored by Perry, eaten by Lola) then veggies. He’s funny. It’s actually been recovery food and his meds first thing lately but that’s finished now too :)

Not silly at all.

I split the veg into 2. Hay and romaine, celery and cucumber in the morning and then Hay red/orange pepper and coriander in the evening. I alternate between dry forage and Piggie parcel pellets and I sprinkle some in their hay before I go to bed so they can have a forage through during the night.

Not silly at all.

I split the veg into 2. Hay and romaine, celery and cucumber in the morning and then Hay red/orange pepper and coriander in the evening. I alternate between dry forage and Piggie parcel pellets and I sprinkle some in their hay before I go to bed so they can have a forage through during the night.
Thank you.

Should have said - they have veggies in the evening too :)

It's what works for you and your piggies that's important. If giving them veggies first thing works for you and them then that's what is correct. It's only you that knows it's morning. To your piggies any time is time for food. They are appetites with fur as @Merab's Slave has so eloquently put it on a number of occasions.

My piggies get their veggies for breakfast along with a top up of hay. In the evening they get big piles of hay to munch on throughout the hours around dusk and dawn when it is their most natural time for grazing.
I think feeding their veg first thing in the morning is also beneficial in the summertime because it means they will have extra fluid on board at the start of the day which will help them to lose a little heat via their wee.

Yes mine get hay after breakfast then afternoon and then evening, that’s the main thing. I think veggies can be given at any time of day. They definitely know their routine though and will let you know if you are half an hour late 😆

Mine get cucumber as soon as we get up, a habit each generation of piggies has not let me give up. This is a throw back to the days when I had a boar who was prone to stones. Cucumber gave him some extra fluid to start the day. Hay gets topped up next then half the days pellets. Grass mid morning when I've had time to pick it, the other pellet portion late afternoon. Main veggie portion and hay top up before I go to bed. Life revolves around piggie stomachs in this house!

Mine get cucumber as soon as we get up, a habit each generation of piggies has not let me give up. This is a throw back to the days when I had a boar who was prone to stones. Cucumber gave him some extra fluid to start the day. Hay gets topped up next then half the days pellets. Grass mid morning when I've had time to pick it, the other pellet portion late afternoon. Main veggie portion and hay top up before I go to bed. Life revolves around piggie stomachs in this house!
Are you sure you don't get up to give them a midnight snack too?🤣

Mine get veggies first in the morning, but there is always hay left over from the night before. Since piggies eat around the clock, the hay bar never really closes. :xd:

Mine get a lettuce leaf in the morning then the rest in the afternoon/evening - pepper, cucumber, coriander (if there is any) and pellets. Then a big hay top up and water change. On hot days, I have given them an extra slice of cucumber along with the usual lettuce in the morning

Like the people above have said, it doesn't really matter; whatever works for you and your pigs.

Mine don't get pellets everyday so it can change a little depending on the day. They get a top up of hay in the morning + veg/fresh forage, top up of hay mid day, and hay + pellets or veg/fresh forage in the evening. On the days where I feed veg/forage morning and night, I split the days portion and give half for each meal. Hay should always be unlimited.

The goblins don't get fresh food til 11am, which is always fun when I have an appointment at 11am, lol. Before that, it's hay. It's always hay. I don't give them a large pile at once, just little and often. Keeps the yelling for food to a minimum, because it's hard to yell and eat at the same time.

Mine get a lettuce leaf with their hay and fresh water in the morning.
There’s often a midday snack of herbs or cucumber and then their main veggie meal comes late afternoon.
Mine will also demand more every time anything sounds like the possibility of food, including the sound of the bin bag being taken out, the baking paper being thrown out after our meal, footsteps on the stairs, the front door, the fridge door………

Mine get pellets first thing, then fresh veg (twice a day) and hay multiple times a day (3 or 4 times).

Veg first thing in this house, Penny will not have it any other way! Plus it’s super quick for us when we are heading out for work, they usually don’t need a hay top up or pellet top up in the morning so a quick handful of spinach or some celery or herbs does them until lunch time when I am home from work and can do their pellets/hay.

Perry and Lola say thank you to you all for confirming what they’ve been trying to tell us.. more veggies first thing! :))

They’re having a slice of cucumber plus a medium lettuce leaf for breakfast now and loving it :)

i place piles of hay in the cages,check the pellets ,fill water bottles when i get up.in the evening the piggies get there veg portions.an hour later,check pellets,check water bottles,more piles of hay.

My boys get romaine lettuce daily, and all the other veggies and fruits when I have them available. In the summer, they get more dandelion and watermelon because those are available and throughout the year, they will get carrots and apples for example.
Regarding pellets, I only give small amount of pellets daily in case they don't get enough vitamin C from veggies and fruits.

Back