• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Veggies during blood in urine?

Wetherill

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My Bercy started seeing some blood in his urine (?) just before. I haven’t figured out exactly what the issue is because every stain I see is the tiniest little spot of blood in the center of a grape-sized spot that looks like normal urine, but still very very small. Keeping an eye on it and calling vet very first thing in the AM (11 pm and in NY right now). He is very hungry for some vegetables for dinner (which they have at such an hour because I work late). Should I hold off? Not sure if there’s any cause of this that veg could make worse. Thanks!

My Bercy started seeing some blood in his urine (?) just before. I haven’t figured out exactly what the issue is because every stain I see is the tiniest little spot of blood in the center of a grape-sized spot that looks like normal urine, but still very very small. Keeping an eye on it and calling vet very first thing in the AM (11 pm and in NY right now). He is very hungry for some vegetables for dinner (which they have at such an hour because I work late). Should I hold off? Not sure if there’s any cause of this that veg could make worse. Thanks!

Hi

Please feed your normal vegetables.

If it turns out to be sheer blood from a stone or sludge then your diet could be just out of the ideal spot (both either just too high or too low) and may need reviewing once you have got a diagnosis although it usually takes other contributing factors as well; if it is porphyrin (a natural intensely red dye) then that could indicate the start of either a bacterial urinary tract infecion (UTI) or a sterile interstitial cystitis (Sterile IC, i.e. a non-bacterial infection of the walls of the urinary tract with regular flare ups every few weeks that cannot be cured by antibiotics). Sheer blood dries from bright red to a mid-brown while porphyrin is a dark, slightly dull red drying to maroon. Both clear and intensely red porphyrin coloured pees can test high for blood content, by the way. It takes much more blood than people think to colour urine red.

All issues in the urinary tract usually present with very similar symptoms initially (red coloured pees, usually some blood in the pees when tested, squeaking when peeing and pooing). It can take several days for off and on symptoms to solidify enough to become diagnosable. Vets usually work their way down from the easiest to treat from UTI - checking the urinary tract for stones or sludge (quick palpation of the bladder and/or scan) - sterile IC.

It is the bacterial count in urine samples that differentiates between UTI and sterile IC - the count is high with UTI but there is a low (rarely zero) count in sterile IC, which is why they can at the best only be temporarily suppressed by antibiotics; the other markers for an infection in the urine are the same.
Sterile IC is not much known in vet circles that do not see lots of guinea pigs but management generally follows that of FSC (feline sterile cystitis). This pointer may help you when dealing with a vet who is not aware it has now become the most common urinary tract infection in indoors guinea pigs due to the rise in commercial supply breeding (whether that is for shops or by for-sale breeders) over the last 15 years or so.

Personally, I would recommend to wait and see in which direction things are developing over the next 2-3 days; see a vet once symptoms become more regular. It will make it that bit easier for a vet to diagnose, and we can then help you from there with the appropriate care tips for the specific issue you are dealing with.

You are not dealing with an emergency right now, so please take a deep breath. ;)

Guinea Lynx :: UTI
Guinea Lynx :: Bladder Stones

Hi

Please feed your normal vegetables.

If it turns out to be sheer blood from a stone or sludge then your diet could be just out of the ideal spot (both either just too high or too low) and may need reviewing once you have got a diagnosis although it usually takes other contributing factors as well; if it is porphyrin (a natural intensely red dye) then that could indicate the start of either a bacterial urinary tract infecion (UTI) or a sterile interstitial cystitis (Sterile IC, i.e. a non-bacterial infection of the walls of the urinary tract with regular flare ups every few weeks that cannot be cured by antibiotics). Sheer blood dries from bright red to a mid-brown while porphyrin is a dark, slightly dull red drying to maroon. Both clear and intensely red porphyrin coloured pees can test high for blood content, by the way. It takes much more blood than people think to colour urine red.

All issues in the urinary tract usually present with very similar symptoms initially (red coloured pees, usually some blood in the pees when tested, squeaking when peeing and pooing). It can take several days for off and on symptoms to solidify enough to become diagnosable. Vets usually work their way down from the easiest to treat from UTI - checking the urinary tract for stones or sludge (quick palpation of the bladder and/or scan) - sterile IC.

It is the bacterial count in urine samples that differentiates between UTI and sterile IC - the count is high with UTI but there is a low (rarely zero) count in sterile IC, which is why they can at the best only be temporarily suppressed by antibiotics; the other markers for an infection in the urine are the same.
Sterile IC is not much known in vet circles that do not see lots of guinea pigs but management generally follows that of FSC (feline sterile cystitis). This pointer may help you when dealing with a vet who is not aware it has now become the most common urinary tract infection in indoors guinea pigs due to the rise in commercial supply breeding (whether that is for shops or by for-sale breeders) over the last 15 years or so.

Personally, I would recommend to wait and see in which direction things are developing over the next 2-3 days; see a vet once symptoms become more regular. It will make it that bit easier for a vet to diagnose, and we can then help you from there with the appropriate care tips for the specific issue you are dealing with.

You are not dealing with an emergency right now, so please take a deep breath. ;)

Guinea Lynx :: UTI
Guinea Lynx :: Bladder Stones
Thanks so much! This is my first ever experience with any sort of bleeding from all 7 present and past pigs, so this was extremely helpful. Will definitely keep an eye on him :)

Back