Vegetables storing after rinsing

PennyCopper

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, happy to say the piggies and I are all well. I am vacationing and wanted to have their daily veggies all pre-rinsed and in baggies or containers for the pet sitter. Looking for the best storage container for pre-rinsed lettuces, carrot tops, parsley (leafy things). Or should I not rinse them? I can prepack them and let the pet sitter rinse them. But its 5 days and I feel like it is a lot to ask. And it will help me in the future - I can save myself so much time preparing their food, if the containers work for several days!
I would try regular zip lock bags but they make my veggies wilt so I never do it anymore. Thank you

Attachments

• 20220416_172538.webp
    20220416_172538.webp
    30 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220416_172158.webp
    20220416_172158.webp
    49.5 KB · Views: 5
Its fine to do this. Do you have lidded plastic or glass food containers? That’s what I would use

I use these. I wash them up after I have ordered a takeaway.

762AC0EC-1989-447F-81C1-0E4F9186B74D.webp

They work really well and stack great in the fridge.

Enjoy your break.

Plastic bags shouldn't be a problem, but you don't want to squeeze out all the air, as airflow is important to lettuce crispness.
What we do is rinse the lettuce, shake off the majority of the water, and then wrap it in paper towels and put it into a bag or container; bags go in the veggie drawer, containers may or may not, as they provide their own protection and may not fit.
The point of the paper towel is not to dry the lettuce completely but absorb extra moisture; you want a little moisture to maintain crispness. You could use a tea towel instead of paper towels. We reuse the paper towels for spill clean up and such once they complete their lettuce task, so they're not just wasted.

I have yet to try chopping for further than one night! Reading this with interest! Thanks for asking the question!

Any food storage box with an inner tray is brill as this protects veggies sitting in surplus water.

When I need to buy any , I do a search for bacon storage and salad storage and go for whatever is reasonably priced .

There are some good ideas in these threads

A Good Way To Store Herbs

Coriander

Any food storage box with an inner tray is brill as this protects veggies sitting in surplus water.

When I need to buy any , I do a search for bacon storage and salad storage and go for whatever is reasonably priced .

There are some good ideas in these threads

A Good Way To Store Herbs

Coriander
Brilliant idea, I will look out for those. I love this forum, you learn something new every day!

Plastic bags shouldn't be a problem, but you don't want to squeeze out all the air, as airflow is important to lettuce crispness.
What we do is rinse the lettuce, shake off the majority of the water, and then wrap it in paper towels and put it into a bag or container; bags go in the veggie drawer, containers may or may not, as they provide their own protection and may not fit.
The point of the paper towel is not to dry the lettuce completely but absorb extra moisture; you want a little moisture to maintain crispness. You could use a tea towel instead of paper towels. We reuse the paper towels for spill clean up and such once they complete their lettuce task, so they're not just wasted.
Ok, I'll try it.

Back