Veg

Spaghetti & Noodles

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Do they need to have veg?
Mr Pig seems really non fussed by it, he is offered the staples every day, does like a bit of coriander and lettuce leaves but really isn't bothered about the rest. The girls on the other hand sit and devour every bit then try to steal his if it is close to the bars!
They have unlimited hay, small amount of nuggets and the odd treat.
I only ask as have just watched my daughter feed them through the piggie cam and he's nibbled at a bit then popped off to his tower and is munching hay.
He is certainly fit and well so I have no health concerns just curious and interested as they are so different!

Veg serves a supplementary role but is more important than pellets.
Will he eat fresh grass?
Have you tried other veggies?

I certainly share your concerns about this.
My Saffron and Luna bunnies have always been fussy with veg. They definitely won’t eat the variety that any of my other three animals eat and some mornings I can go to them to find they haven’t eaten any of (or have only picked at) their evening staple veggies (the other three cannot get enough!). They will eat grass though (and eat hay all the time)

Veg serves a supplementary role but is more important than pellets.
Will he eat fresh grass?
Have you tried other veggies?

I certainly share your concerns about this.
My Saffron and Luna bunnies have always been fussy with veg. They definitely won’t eat the variety that any of my other three animals eat and some mornings I can go to them to find they haven’t eaten any of (or have only picked at) their evening staple veggies (the other three cannot get enough!). They will eat grass though (and eat hay all the time)
Thank you for the reply, all the pigs are offered a mix of veg, since having them I've regularly gone back to the feeding guides to check what they can/can't have and tried different things, he has no interest in pepper of any colour and just seems to enjoy lettuce and herbs.
He will eat grass, loves a Dandelion and leaves etc and loves his hay, again we give a mix, some from a local farm and some that I buy in as an eating hay.

I knew it was more important than pellets, he doesn't eat those like the girls either, it's not unusual to have to remove uneaten veg before putting him to bed.

He doesn't appear to have any issues eating and was checked recently when they went for nail trims, he is a good weight and heft so maybe it's just how he is.

Do you have a garden or anywhere where dogs are unlikely to pee? There's a few plants that they can eat. We're coming to the season where you can forage for a variety of 'veg' for free.

Maybe he has a sophisticated palate :))
Have a look at the link below. Today my guys have tried hairy bittercress and it went down a treat, decent amount of vitamin C too.
Safe wild weeds/plants you can feed your piggies

Do you have a garden or anywhere where dogs are unlikely to pee? There's a few plants that they can eat. We're coming to the season where you can forage for a variety of 'veg' for free.

Maybe he has a sophisticated palate :))
Have a look at the link below. Today my guys have tried hairy bittercress and it went down a treat, decent amount of vitamin C too.
Safe wild weeds/plants you can feed your piggies
Thank you I'll have a good read later.

Back