Veg and pellets

Alicia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have been doing research but we got our two piggies quicker than I expected and I’m now second guessing things! They came to me on pets at home pellets, is there a better alternative? I know any changes to diet should be gradual. Also Ive been reading through lists of veg, fruit and herbs that are safe for piggies but I can’t see what’s best to give them daily. I know they need it daily for vitamin c but things like apple and carrot are very high in sugar so whats good to have as a staple with some other bits mixed in occasionally as a treat

Have a look through the diet stickies in the section here

There is a nugget comparison thread here Nugget Comparison Chart we have always fed Harrington’s past few years and in past Burgess and grain free

In relation to veg that can be feed daily we feed bell pepper and cucumber daily both morning and night. Celery in morning also. Then rotate coriander and little gem lettuce daily.

Staples are cucumber, bell pepper, a lettuce leaf (not iceberg) and a couple sprigs of coriander. I give mine the staples and they also get green beans about 4 times a week. More if I remember it. I wouldn’t give apple and carrot too often. Once a week if that, and a small sliver/portion.

Tomatoes and acidic fruits can cause mouth sores if given too often. Cabbage and broccoli can cause bloat if fed too much. Parsley, kale and spinach are high in calcium. You shouldn’t only feed one of them at a time, max once a week.

You can give them other herbs and veg as well in rotation. Have a read of the feeding guide below as it’s more comprehensive.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Back