Vacuum Packed Wood Shavings

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainbow sky

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an easy way to get wood shavings out of packet? When I remove plastic covering I am still left with a solid block of compressed shavings and find it a nightmare to break up, I end up with huge clumps. Or does anyone know who sells woodshavings which are loose and not vacuum packed, I live in Sheffield and have tried Pets at Home etc.

I use them too but dont see what the problem is by just breaking the shavings up by hand ;D

I just get a few scoops place it in their hutches and spread it out - to be honest i think they done it to give you more for your money and to cause less mess as it all sticks together which i think is great ;)

Bon Bon said:
I get my shavings from wilkos, they are easier to break up and aren't as dusty as shavings from the pet shop :)

By Wilkos I take it you mean Wilkinsons? Which is great as we have one in Sheffield. The shavings from Pets at home are a nightmare to break up and make your hands really sore, never buying from there again.

Hi,

I used to use woodshavings when I first got my boys and found them hard to get out. I used to use a gardening glove to break them up and that was a huge help.

Louise

I fing the trick is how you open the bale, if you cut the seam at the centre between the two triangular folds then cut the two edges of the triangle and then the central seam under the folds it gives you an extra bit of bag to play with and loosen the shavings in. Not the best explained I know took me a while to figure it out lol

yeah thats what i do - just cut where the tape has separated the folds O0

rainbow sky said:
The shavings from Pets at home are a nightmare to break up and make your hands really sore, never buying from there again.
[/quote
Where ever you buy shavings from will not cure your dry hands. I suffer with very dry skin and cannot use them at all my hands were cracked and bleeding :'( even tried to wear laytex gloves. I now use megazorb and will never use shavings again ;)

If they make your hands all red and sore, imagine what they are doing to your guinea pigs feet!

Sorry, dont mean to butt in, but I really hate woodshavings. They make piggies sore and ill.

Damonshumanslave said:
If they make your hands all red and sore, imagine what they are doing to your guinea pigs feet!

Sorry, dont mean to butt in, but I really hate woodshavings. They make piggies sore and ill.

I do NOT use shavings I use MEGAZORB. I have very dry skin and cannot even touch them. I was trying to tell the poster this :)

Hey, my comment was aimed at the poster, not you! I was just agreeing with you about what shavings do to skin!

I used to use shavings too, but they made my hands sore, made my pigs feet red and inflamed, and gave a couple of my respiritory infections. Even dust free shavings are dusty. I'll never use them again. Obviously this is all just from ym experience and is my opinion. I do realise some people use them without any problem.

SORRY it was how I quoted it then came back and saw your qoute so SORRY public apology here :)

when i used to get the big back from P@H, i used to smash it into a large box with a hammer.

Lol, I have a mental image of somebody beating a bag of woodshavings with a sledgehammer in a garage!

PumpkinPiggie, no need to apologise. I didnt really make myself clear!

Damonshumanslave said:
Lol, I have a mental image of somebody beating a bag of woohatdshavings with a sledgehammer in a garage!

PumpkinPiggie, no need to apologise. I didnt really make myself clear!

:) yeah we got our wires crossed I said sorry on 1st page last night too ;)

Tom_cat said:
when i used to get the big back from P@H, i used to smash it into a large box with a hammer.

The last pack I bought I emptied it out into a black bag and jumped up and down on it to try break it up 98) I actually looked at a pack of Carefresh yesterday just to see what its like, would you put that down all over cage and then hay on top, thats what I do with cage at moment, a layer of shavings with hay on top and extra hay in their bed.

I wouldnt use carefresh with pigs really. I'm not sure why tho lol.

Damonshumanslave said:

Couldn't agree more! If that's what a few minutes' contact does to your hands (it does to mine, too) then think about what the poor pigs have to put up with for hours on end - ouch!

The best way to break up the bags is to watch the big bin lorry squash up the bag and make it explode. 0:)

Good news! Problem solved, I had to pop into a local fruit and veg shop today ( not one I usually use). They are selling bags of "LOOSE" wood shavings , it is very fine stuff and a lot nicer than what I was using before, and a great big bag is only £1.25, so no more vacuum packed for me,lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back