v v randy boars

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Haven't been on here lately because I have no Internet at home. Back at work now though...

I have two boars who live together - Leroy and Malcolm (9 months) - and one single rescue boar called Colin (1 year). Lately I have introduced them all to each other on my lap for short periods of time. It has been good for Colin as he is not used to other pigs. There has been some purring and bottom sniffing - usual stuff - and I've been surprised as they have got on well and got them all sitting together quietly on my lap!

But I had a shock the other day. Not sure what got into Colin but his bottom swaying went on for longer than usual. Then he mounted poor Leroy with Malcolm calmly watching on... I decided to separate them. Then I saw something of Colins that I had - ahem - not seen before. And it was a lot bigger than I had imagined....

I feel like I have invaded his privacy!

Why do boys get randy with each other?!

My two girls went through a spate of this. We put it down to adolescence because of their age. They haven't done it in a while now.

sarahp said:
I feel like I have invaded his privacy!

Why do boys get randy with each other?!

;D The joy of owning male animals ::)

I think when boars get randy with each other they are simply acting as they would in the wild. It may partly be a dominance thing, but also a way in which to express their sexual instincts. I think it is quite common in a lot of species?

Some boars are.... as you seem to have found more enthusiastic than others ::)

Barbara

LOL, agree with Barbara. My boys can and will mount each other even be it the others' head! It stinks like hell, but doesn't really cause a problem.

They need to get some *ahem* relief somewhere I guess! :P :P

we have a boar like that called Olli,he often tries sticking it in another pigs ear etc but ive not noticed any smell thankfully

is it ok to leave them to it then?

i was worried that it might lead to fights if the one getting mounted gets annoyed

sarahp said:
is it ok to leave them to it then?

i was worried that it might lead to fights if the one getting mounted gets annoyed

Mmmm... a difficult one this as there is no right or wrong answer, I guess it depends on the individual guinea pigs. If you have a dominant and submissive boar together, fighting may not be a real problem. But I do think that as owners we should ensure that the male being mounted is not being unduly stressed and bullied.
If it was becoming an almost contant issue, I'd worry about the submissive boar. If I was really concerned, I'd split them up.

In my mind, boars that live happy, settled and bonded lives together are not constantly mounting each other.
It can be a transient problem as they reach adolescence, but I'd want to see it settle down if they were to stay together.
Just my thoughts :)

Barbara

I this something that is out of the ordinary? Its just one of my boars 'ahem' got a bit romantic once and has never done it since. They do mount when they are working out the pecking order, but once this is sorted they dont do it anymore (in my experiance) unless something happens that causes them to want to reasess the order of dominanace.... perhaps adolecense or teh addition of more guinea pigs near by.

Barmy4boars said:
I this something that is out of the ordinary? Its just one of my boars 'ahem' got a bit romantic once and has never done it since. They do mount when they are working out the pecking order, but once this is sorted they dont do it anymore (in my experiance) unless something happens that causes them to want to reasess the order of dominanace.... perhaps adolecense or teh addition of more guinea pigs near by.

I think boars either settle very well...period, or there is on and off, periods of bickering and randiness...like most partnerships I guess ::)
As always...personality :)

I personally don't think mounting is generally about dominance when it comes to boars...or sows for that matter, though I agree it can be.
More frequently it is quite simply displaced sexual behaviour, which is understandable. It is therefor understandable that the male (or of course female) receiving the "attention" is not overly pleased.
As always just my thoughts :)

Barbara

Olli is always trying to hump one of the other boys thats with him,I dont wanna get him neutered though after what happened to Dusty :( :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back