Using Moss Killer On Lawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veggies Galore

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You need to wait for 3-4 grass cuttings after you have used any weedkiller on your lawn to make sure that it has safely grown out.

If your lawn is really mossy then it's going to take some time to sort out, get it done now then it'll be ready for the pigs when the weather's warmed up. I'd recommend starting by raking out as much moss as you can using a scarifier or a wire rake. Once this is done apply ferrous sulphate to kill the remaining moss, leave it a couple of weeks (the moss will go black) then rake it out again. You can go over it with the mower to pick up the bits. The lawn will look terrible but don't worry! The next stage is to apply fertiliser and reseed any areas which are bare, you can get pet safe fertiliser which disperses faster than others and loose grass seed is available from places like wilkinsons. The fertiliser needs to be watered in but avoid applying it before heavy rain. Typically it would need leaving three weeks (three mowings) before the pigs can go out but it may need longer to recover from the moss removal.

If your lawn is really mossy then it's going to take some time to sort out, get it done now then it'll be ready for the pigs when the weather's warmed up. I'd recommend starting by raking out as much moss as you can using a scarifier or a wire rake. Once this is done apply ferrous sulphate to kill the remaining moss, leave it a couple of weeks (the moss will go black) then rake it out again. You can go over it with the mower to pick up the bits. The lawn will look terrible but don't worry! The next stage is to apply fertiliser and reseed any areas which are bare, you can get pet safe fertiliser which disperses faster than others and loose grass seed is available from places like wilkinsons. The fertiliser needs to be watered in but avoid applying it before heavy rain. Typically it would need leaving three weeks (three mowings) before the pigs can go out but it may need longer to recover from the moss removal.

Thank you for the sound advice . I'm afraid I'm at the age where I get a man in to do work like this. Moss killing will start early next week. Our lawn is so neglected that we're having holes punched in it too (can't remember the technical term for it). Glad you said about pet safe fertiliser.

I am seeking assurances that the lawn treatment is safe for animals. Naturally, it needs to be safe for my GPs to graze on. Also, we have a pond and are very proud of our frog population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back