• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Urgent - What are the signs of a stroke in piggies ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Vicky(Smudger)
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vicky(Smudger)

What are the signs of a piggie having suffered a stroke?

I have a piggie who was fine yesterday but this morning he is a bit floppy and disorientated. All I can think of is he has suffered a stroke as there isnt any other signs that would point to something else.

Alos if he has had a stroke what care/medication should I give?

Get him to the Vet straight away - get an emergency appointment if necessary! He needs urgently looking at - if it isn't a stroke then there's obviously something else seriously wrong with him.

My Jazzy had a stroke and was walking round in a circle and head moving very strangely, and held to one side. The Vet gave her an injection and gave me powder to dissolve and syringe feed her. I had to go back every two days and at the end when she was clearly on the way to recovery the Vet informed me that he hadn't thought she would survive! He was still prepared to get the £150 off me! Anyway he saved her life and she had about 4 more years, so I was eternally grateful to him. She always held her head to one side afterwards but that was the only sign that she'd ever been ill.

Good luck - I really hope you are as lucky as I was and get sorted real quick. O0

So sorry to hear about your piggy Vicky, how are things now? Keeping everything crossed for you.

Reading the link that SunshineandTwinkle gave me he hasnt got the same symptoms so not sure if he has suffered a stroke. Spoke to vets and told them that I have baytril, they said to dose him with that and if he hasnt improved take him along to see them.

It doesnt however look good, he isnt taking water very well and is very floppy and limp. Its hard to say what he has got as there are no other signs of anything else.

All I can do is keep him warm and try more baytril later this evening.

Yeah I have got them Karen, but the water is just running straight out again and that was with putting the syringe as far in as I dare to. He just isnt making any effort to take it.

I will mix up some more fluids and try again though.

nope nothing, there is no swallow reaction to anything. Not sure if I'm gonna win this one.

Oh Vicky so sorry to hear about the little piggie :'(
We've got our paws crossed and sending heaps of healing wheeks :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Oh poor you (and poor piggy of course) hope he pulls through. All you can do is your best and it sounds as if that's what you're doing so just keep on doing it! Good luck love O0 :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

The piggie is still with us but there is no change. He still wont take any liquids and isnt interested in food. He is just lying in the cage and occasionally moves.

Although I hate to say it I think we are going to have to be kind to him and let him go. Am going to speak to our vets now.

Sadly it leaves his cage mate on his own.

What a shame poor little man, he doesn't sound good at all.
Sometimes it's better to let them go.
So sorry vicky,
take care
lisa xx

I am so sorry to hear about your little man. Iv got got my fingers cross and me and my piggies are thinking of you two. Hope he gets better. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Sorry to hear that Vicky. If he is struggling and there is nothing more that can be done it would be kinder to let him go as you say.

Good luck with the vet.

x

Our thoughts are with you love :smitten:
Only you will know what's best for him :(
(((((((((HUGS))))))))))) for you love and more gentle kisses for your piggie :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Sadly the little fella passed away yesterday.

He actually went before I could get him to the vets.

Now we just have to decide what to do with his cage mate as they were two of the piggies that were due to go to their new home later this month. Not sure now if the lady will want just the one.

Oh Vicky i'm so so sorry :'( :'( :'( :'( i was so hoping for a miracle for you :-\ not to be this time...
RIP little guy 0:) 0:) 0:) you can now play at the bridge where you can find lots of friends to play with and munch on all the lovely green grass :-* :-* :-* :-*
((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))) to you sweetie been thinking of you all day here... we sent messages but it just must of been his time :'( :'( :'(

So sorry for your loss Vicky, at least the little man is at rest now and is not struggling.

Thinking of you.

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back