Urgent - please help - new set up needed due to fight

iowsara

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I'm really hoping I can get some help here. We had 3 rescue boys a year ago and they lived in a 3 x 3 c&c with a 1 x 3 low level loft, an add on 1 x 1 cube (so effectively a 4 x 1 and a 3 x 2 together) with open access to free roam when we're home.

Sadly we lost Roy last week due to a URI. The remaining boys, Moss & Richmond had been fine - a bit of argie bargie here and there and lots of mounting, trying to find the top pig. However last night and this morning it got worse, culminating in a fight with blood being drawn today and both having cuts (antibiotics & painkillers). I have now have to separate them. Temporarily I have added a 3 x 2 next to their current set up - however it means we are having to climb over it to move around our living room and get to the kitchen (not practical, or safe at all).

So I need to reconfigure, quickly. I know I'm going to have to get new correx and possibly other bits so want to make sure I get it right. I can't go bigger than my current footprint, its going to need to go up. I'm gutted they have had to be separated - so wondering if there is a way to enable them to still see each other (apart from when the other is out for floor time). Any ideas?

Thanks very much in advance.

I’m sorry for your loss.

Without knowing the configuration and measurements of your room, we can’t really comment in any detail but what we can say is that each piggy needs a minimum of a 3x2 cage on a single level (upper levels connected via a ramp do not count towards the cage size) but the cages do need to be side by side if they do not have another piggy living in the cage with them.
Stacked cages won’t work for single piggies as they lose the interaction.

Would making it L shaped help at all?

So very sorry to hear of your loss. And the fallout with your boys.

:agr: with the advice above. Is there somewhere else in the house that would work better for the two setups? The interaction for single piggies is vital. I currently have two boys at ground level, with a single boy next door. I have another setup above but it is for another pair of boars.

So very sorry to hear of your loss. And the fallout with your boys.

:agr: with the advice above. Is there somewhere else in the house that would work better for the two setups? The interaction for single piggies is vital. I currently have two boys at ground level, with a single boy next door. I have another setup above but it is for another pair of boars.

I’m sorry for your loss.

Without knowing the configuration and measurements of your room, we can’t really comment in any detail but what we can say is that each piggy needs a minimum of a 3x2 cage on a single level (upper levels connected via a ramp do not count towards the cage size) but the cages do need to be side by side if they do not have another piggy living in the cage with them.
Stacked cages won’t work for single piggies as they lose the interaction.

Would making it L shaped help at all?

Thank you both for your replies, its appreciated.
Sadly it is not an ideal situation and we do not have an alternative space we can use, we don't have a spare bedroom and only have 2 downstairs rooms. I wish I could stretch it to 2 x 3x2's next to each other, but whist we have 4 grids currently along one wall that is just 1 grid wide before reducing to 3 x3. Our door to the kitchen is next to this so if we come out any further then it blocks full access. I've added a really dodgy floorplan (excuse my quick art work) to show what I mean.
I've also attached a set up I found on this forum which could be a solution - but thinking the ramps would be very steep!

SmartSelect_20221110_163801_Word.webp

Screenshot_20221110_150312_Samsung Internet.webp

Thank you both for your replies, its appreciated.
Sadly it is not an ideal situation and we do not have an alternative space we can use, we don't have a spare bedroom and only have 2 downstairs rooms. I wish I could stretch it to 2 x 3x2's next to each other, but whist we have 4 grids currently along one wall that is just 1 grid wide before reducing to 3 x3. Our door to the kitchen is next to this so if we come out any further then it blocks full access. I've added a really dodgy floorplan (excuse my quick art work) to show what I mean.
I've also attached a set up I found on this forum which could be a solution - but thinking the ramps would be very steep!

View attachment 214298

View attachment 214297

It isn’t ideal and, as you suspect, the ramps are likely to be far too steep. Too steep and they won’t use them.

Ramps in Cages

But, you are in a difficult situation and all you can do is your best. This picture with the mid level interaction point at least offers provided the two piggies go to the same area at the same time, something whereas two totally separate stacked cages offer nothing by way of interaction.

you would most likely want to add something to the side of that loft area so nobody tries to get/falls over the side of the correx upstand.

I've tried something similar to that configuration and it just doesn't work well. You'll probably find one or both pigs will stay on the tiny middle shelf and it'll be a nightmare to clean too.

Do you have room for a 2x6 along the wall where the window is?

Back