• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Urgent - Please Help Bear

Anna M

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig's name is Bear, and he's maybe around 8 months to a year old. He's always been really happy and energetic but recently has been really itchy and lethargic. We took him the pet store and they said he said fruit and sugar allegies, but we'd never had issues with his food or what we fed him, so it's not really likely. We though mites, but there are no marks or signs. Tons of dead skin is flaking off, and he is itchy in specific spots. He has a brother, who hasn't been acting differently. We got him a medicated itch spray because he was really itchy and its helping him, but he's going downhill. I haven't had him for that long and I really love him and need answers. He just seems really down and sad and tired. Please help, I can't lose him. Thank you.

@Anna M It could possibly be an allergy but not to fruit and sugar. But before you explore that option you need to rule out everything else.

Itching is usually mites, but can be lice or fungal related. You need to see a vet for this and they will prescribe the appropriate medicine/treatment.

I would recommend a vet appointment asap.

My guinea pig's name is Bear, and he's maybe around 8 months to a year old. He's always been really happy and energetic but recently has been really itchy and lethargic. We took him the pet store and they said he said fruit and sugar allegies, but we'd never had issues with his food or what we fed him, so it's not really likely. We though mites, but there are no marks or signs. Tons of dead skin is flaking off, and he is itchy in specific spots. He has a brother, who hasn't been acting differently. We got him a medicated itch spray because he was really itchy and its helping him, but he's going downhill. I haven't had him for that long and I really love him and need answers. He just seems really down and sad and tired. Please help, I can't lose him. Thank you.

Hi and welcome

Have you got access to a vet (small animal doctor)? Pet shop staff is generally not known for being knowledgeable even on basic facts about the animals they sell. Please also be aware that any anti-parasite powders or sprays for dogs or cats can be fatal for guinea pigs. Pet shops are not allowed to sell proper animal medications, so their products do not work in an acute serious outbreak.

Here are some links to fungal infections and mange mites to help you find out what it is, but please be aware that we are legally not allowed (nor are we competent) to diagnose without a hands-on examination. This is something only a vet can do.
Please be careful when handling or treating a guinea pig with advanced fungal or mites, as they can start fitting. Ideally your vet should use non-licensed oral anti-fungal medication (itraconazole) or inject the ivermectin instead of using drops for the skin.
Guinea Lynx :: Fungus
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures
Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites
Gorgeous Guineas Identification
Gorgeous Guineas Photo gallery

Back