• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

URGENT! please answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnasPiggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i just wen out to give my guine apig some food and clean out there bedding a bit and i found my self black guine amudge had a blue eye
here is a picture
SP_A0157.jpg

I am relaly worried can you tell me whats up

It looks like it could be a poke injury (most likely from the hay). I could be wrong but I don't think there is much you can do. I think that the clouding of the eye is it's way of healing. Like I said I am not sure.

I have seen guinea pigs' eyes clouds over when something scratched the eye, resulting in an ulcer.

You should take your guinea pig to the vet where they will more than likely prescribe an appropriate eye drop.

o thankyou i dont no if i can take to the vet right now my mum is out is there anyway it will heal on its own or can i help him some how he seems fine he is his usal self i int to worried i just want to no if he will be ok.

This is caused by their bedding and is called trauma to the eye - It normally heals pretty fast on its own without any treatment and thats what the cloudiness is for like Lure said O0
It may take a few days or longer but prevention is better than cure if its an ulcer so id ring up the vets :smitten:

If you can gently wash with water, not using cooton wool or anything like that just incase there is a bit of dust in it and to just cool it down and ease it. I use a syringe to gently drip water on the eye in the past but you could use a spoon and let it drip off the spoon. Don't use cotton wool or tissue as this could aggrivate it and scatch it more.

its red round the eye i have tried putting water in it I'm am quiet worried :'(

xXxlilxmisXcheerxXx said:
its red round the eye i have tried putting water in it I'm am quiet worried :'(
What bedding do you use ? hay/straw ?

hay sometimes i put a bit of straw in if it is a cold night or day my other guinea pig is fine
I got mudge here on mt lap i have tried putting water into it well dropped some water on her eye with a spoon
i am gonna ask my mum 2 take him to the vets when she comes back
i think it might be a poke in the eye but I'm not sure
Anna x

Dont fiddle with it any more, if there is some thing in there you are going to move it around or possibly cause more damage, if you have flushed it out leave it now :). As squeaky pigs said go to the vets or give them a ring. Dont panic tho if piggy is happy and eating they will be fine. Hopefully Maryh will be able to advise when she comes on.

i would suggest not to add the straw O0 it is known to poke piggies in the eye.

thanks i jst dnt reali fancy a blind pigggy
will the vet charge alot hope not
Anna x

yeah dont worry I'm sure its nothing serious O0 In used to house mine on straw but now i just use hay for bedding as they eat it too ;D

yes that is a a problem
with hay they eat it and then wonder why they are cold :tickedoff:

yes that is a a problem
with hay they eat it and then wonder why they are cold :tickedoff:
;D Put loads in then they burry themselves in it O0

i do i fill it right to the top till the roof and in the morning half of it has gone lol ;D

If the eye is white / opaque it means that it is healing itself and the injury probably happened a few days ago, just some boiled water with a grain or two of salt will help ease it - there is no panic!

hoping smudge is better today. we use to use hay for bedding but zoe would get too many grass seeds in her eyes so switched to straw for bedding and now the eyes are right as rain(touching wood). sending hugs and cuddles to you and smudge and hope all is well. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: we had a baby guinea born who at 3 weeks old developed the blue eyes it was found she was blind. had no idea as to what caused it. and no it wasn't the straw as the bedding was hay at that stage. hope all is going well. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

i think it happend today he didnt have it yesterday

The opaqueness of the eye indicates that it is healing inside and thats why its goes white. Meaning the injury itself happened a couple of days before, you probably wouldn't have seen the actual eye poke injury.

yes well i had a look again today it isnt as red as it was yesterday i am just going to leave it for a while and if it donsnt go thn i will hav to book a vet apoitment but i dont think it is anything serious he isnt to bothered by it.
Love anna and mudge x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back