Urgent: Pine wood

• Thread starter Thread starter Cavylover101
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cavylover101

My dad built a play pin for my pigs made of pine wood. I've read that pine wood used as bedding(my book only confronts pine wood used as bedding) can cause a variety of health problems. :'( I'm wondering if only an hour or two each day is enough exposure to the wood to hurt my Cavies or that they need to be on the bedding 24/7 to get enough exposure to cause health problems. Any help much appreciated!

I'm not that experienced yet, but I think the problem with wood shavings is the dust rather than the actual wood? The dust can get into their lungs and cause all sorts of probs.

I don't know that a play pen made out of it would cause any problems. They may well nibble it, but my experience so far is they'll be much more interested in what you place in the play pen to pay any attention....!

A play pen is fine. The problem with shavings is the dust, the shavings get stuck in the nether regions of boars, shavings can absorb moisture from the skin and will leave it more prone to fungal infection.

Actually, the problem with pine shavings is the scent. It's too strong, and if the guinea pigs are exposed to the scent for so long at a level so close to it, well, it's really hurtful after a while.

But a playpen is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back