• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Urgent: Jessie punctured her skin U/D back from vets

Status
Not open for further replies.

kezza30

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Jessie has been scratching so much today and was running around in circles sqealing, i did google it and it is symtoms of mites is what i found. I haven't been able to get to P@H for spot on cos i need my dad to drive me and he's working 6am to 8pm every day lately. I noticed she had something on her back and on closer inspection she has puncherd her skin with her nails but there not even that long. I know johnsons shampo is supposed to be bad but i had some left from my rabbits and just wanted something to soothe her skin for now. Even my mam said she nearly cried at the sound she was making, my poor baby :'(

Does spot on still sound a good ting to get or should i really take her to a vets, i have asked my mam to ring first thing tommrow and will have to ask time of my course. Right now i only have £50 til friday then i will have another £50. How much do you think it might cost for what ever treatment she needs so i know i can cover the costs, even if i have to borrow some money and pay it back.

I have not even had her that long and she is stil very scared of me and this is my first ever guinea pig, i only had rabbits and hamsters before and i was given a medicated shampoo for the rabbits but they never puncterd the skin, is this just a guinea pig thing to do.

Also what should i do about the cage, should i clean everything up, bowls, toys and stuff. I hope this all made sense abit and you don't think i'm a bad guinea pig owner, i left treatment to late and nows shes in pain cos i put my own probs first. I feel bad enough :'( :'(

EDIT: Ok so i just went to check on her and stroke her and she has a weird feeling, like i feel her breathing but there is a rumbling in her belly. What is this i know shes not hungry she never stops eating ;D Could this be an illness symptom to :(

Also is there anything i can rub on her sores that will soothe it, like tee tree oil or something i can buy at tescos :-\

Re: Urgent: Jessie punctured her skin

Does sound like mites.. have any Savlon cream in the house to soothe the itching/wound now?

I think that spot on may be a bit too weak at the moment for her.

At the most at the vets, I would imagine £15 if they include a consultation

I don't have any of that but i do have some Cetrimide antiseptic first aid cream, is this suitable? I'll get my mam to ring the vets tommorow first thing, also do you know what the rumbling type feeling in her belly is, it's so weird :-\

Sorry for only just replying - my pc is funny right now!

Anyway.. the cream you have, it's a mild one like Savlon?

As for the rumbling - it could be that she's shaking with the pain? I remember when Jin had them bad, he would shake a little?

I'm not sure if it's mild, it doesn't say. You can use it on nappy rash and mild abrasions so it sounds most likely to be mild. It was probably shaking, i imagine she was scared and stressed. Mams going to phone vets tommorow and i'll be taking her on my lunch break hopefully no one will notice i'm a tad late cos i've got no sick days left. ;D

Oh yeah, sounds ok then. Don't use too much at the moment in case it doesn't agree with her

Ok thanks i'll just use a tiny pea sized amount then. :)

O0 Should be fine until you get her to the vets :)

Thanks for your help. I've rubbed abit on her sores now so hopefully should keep the itching down till the morning :)

Good luck at the vets :) Glad to hear you are getting her there, let us know how you get on. No one thinks you are a bad guinea pig owner, you never know what to do until something happens. Atleast you are getting her to the vets now and you tried to soothe the pain, that prooves you are a great piggy slave!

Thankyou jane. I think the cream was stinging abit as she was running around and made a little sqeal sound but it hurts people to on open wounds. She is all settled down now hiding under the tent i made :)

Re: Urgent: Jessie punctured her skin U/D still sqealing alot :(

So Jessie's been sqealing alot and running around like mad, the cream and mites must be awful for her :( Also while running around like mad she's kicking all the straw in her bowls and it's getting stuck to her veg which she also has not eating yet, only a little bit, usually all gone by now. Will go make her some fresh thats not coverd in straw and find something to lift it off the ground but she can still reach :(

Good luck at the vets with Jessie, poor little girl, i'm sure they'll be able to help her :smitten:

I think we'll need luck cos she's never been to a vets so i don't know how she's going to react being there aswell still being such a new piggy still getting used to me. Atleast she ate all her veg last niht, i had to use an old hamster wheel that wasn't to high to elevate them off the floor, when she runs around in discomfort straw gets stuck to her veg and she wasn't eating it.

Hows things now?

If she has bald spots as mine did it is very bad and for my guinea which got a fraction of the normal dose because it is only small and it cost £3 something and it was 3 injections over 3 weeks and the consultation cost about £13 ;D so the injections could cost anywhere between £3 and £15

Well where back forom the vets. She was given the injection and some anticbiotics aswell, all together cost me £30 but i had enough so was ok. Gotta start her antibiotics off tonight, orally, oh dear :o and back in 10 days for another injection :) She was a very good piggie and didn't run around, i think she was scared abit though. Promised i would get her some fiddle stick bridge tommorow ;D

Thanks, actually it was easier than i thought. My brother helped to hold her gently so i could give her it. Sat very still but made like a crying sqeal, do guinea pigs make crying type noises cos thats what it sounds like. I have told my brother i am waking him up at 8am to give the morning one before i go out which he isn't to amused about, it's his school holidays ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back