• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

urgent if on line pls read

• Thread starter Thread starter jom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jom

hi i need help. just got three new pigs zebedee was 2oz smaller than the others but thought he could be a little younger and as he was eating and putting on weight he would be ok. just went to spend some time with them and give them veg and zebs breathing is wheezy and heavy. he is eating very little. eyes are shiney no sneezing or crusts. he was fine at 1 30 when i went to work. iv brought him downstairs and he is starting to eat a little and his breathing seems better but is stil not right. does he need to see an emergency vet or can he gp first thing if i watch him tonight. please please help. x

ok wierdest thing has happened. was gonna take zeb to the vet as he sounded awful but as quick as it started his breathin is now back to normal. i could hear him breathing but then it stopped and i had a heart attack thinking the worse was so relieved it was back to normal. could he of had something lodged in his throat? iv put him in a cage on his own and il keep him in my bedroom tonight. any signs of his breathin being bad again and he will go straight to the vets. even if hes still better il take him first thing for a check up as hes quite thin. x

Glad his breathings better, i'd still keep an eye on him though as you said, good luck at the vets 2morrow! x

Oh dear sorry to hear :(
I wonder if he was allergic or reacted to something in his cage?
Great idea to go to the vets O0
btw we had this problem only just over a week ago, Duke was put onto Baytril (my vet refuses to use Septrin ::)) for a week and that cleared it up O0

As Glynis said, I wonder if he may have an allergy? My friend's pig had exactly the same breathing thing as you describe and worried her to death, by the time she got him to the emergency vet it had completely stopped and he was normal. Vet checked for obstructions, but suggested that he could have an allergy. Would still recommend getting him to a vet though to make sure.

Sudafed,the paedriatric one, given at the dose rate of 0.3ml per day,will often work wonders with wheezes and rattly breathing caused by allergy.

I have used this on my pigs many times with excellent results.

I think you need to get him vet checked though in case he needs an antibiotic.

hi all,
we checked on zeb through the nite and he was fine. ate loads of veg and was drinking. still fine this mornin so went to work but checked on him at lunchtime. he was still eating and drinking well. been great this evening and is eating well. his cheast is bak to normal. we think the other two gps he lives with arent letting him eat enough and this made him weak? what were doing is putting zeb into his own cage though the nite and during the day so we can make sure he gets plenty of food but putting him in with the others in the evening for a few hrs but watching them so that hopefully we wont have to permenently seperate them. we are keeping a very close eye on his weight and chest. we are racking our brains but cant think what could of caused an allergy as we used the same bedding, food and hay in his new cage. could lack of food caused by bullying of made him wheeze? we didnt think he was being bullied because he was eating when we were feeding them but now think the others were only letting hav a tiny amount. x

so if it was caused by stress would we be best to seperate or do what we are diong letting them still hav a few hrs supervised in the evening hoping they can live together again? its strange they all cuddle up and sleep together and play together. i spoke to the vet this morning and he said as long as zeb is eating, putting on weight and his chest sounds clear we didnt hav to take him in as an emergency this morning. x

Continue as you are for a few days at least,see how it goes.They may settle down.

thanks for that. I'm really hoping once we get some weight on zeb he will stand his ground. if not we will put a chicken wire divider in the new cage so hes safe but they can still see each other and give them run time together. x

hi just wanted to let you all know zebs pit over an ounce on since we seperated him. turning into a litle fatty! x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back