• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

URGENT HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all Amber has been limping this evening and holding her foot up I have no idea why she is quite happy eating grass and trying to run about she is lying down every now and then and resting by the look of it :-\ I have rang the vets and they have said they are fully booked but have a spare appointment tomorrow am and I need to keep an eye etc over night.

I Just wondered if there was anything I need to do for her I was thinking of bringing her in with trixie her sister for the night as I think she would be worried and lonely without all the others and they are sisters is this a good idea or should I just leave her in with them all but keep an eye on her. Is there any meds I can give her for pain ? Please help I am dead worried she is one of my first ever piggies !

ooooh nooo! Dont know what to suggest... sorry. Maybe its just a sprained ankle - but its good that you've got an appointment at the vets to check it out. Really hope she's ok! Got my fingers crossed!

:-* for Amber... ...sending you and her lots of :smitten:

Good luck at the vets, I hope everything goes well.

I have no idea what to suggest, but maybe it would be a good idea to bring her in overnight if possible so you can keep an eye on her without having to go outside to see how she is.

good luck hun. keep us posted. the only things i could suggest for pain are children's nurofen or calpol, as i've been told that they help, but you MUST find out what dosage first. if in doubt, however don't use it. for dosage and help with what human medicines piggies can have i should contact Vedra on 07721026401 who will indicate the dosage and which medicines to give guinea pigs.

When has she started limping?It could just be a knock or it could be broken :( anyway good you got her a place at the vets and you'll just have to wait and see :(

I think it might be an idea to bring her in - if it is a break or a sprain one of the others could knock it accidentally, also be good to keep her a bit warmer and out of the damp...

Hope all goes well tomorrow and its just something like an in-growing toe nail!

Amber may just have knocked or sprained the leg or bruised the bad.As she is eating normally she is probably not in bad pain.I agree about bringing her indoors but bring one of her friends in with her as sows hate to be alone and she will get stressed.Choose the sow that she seems to bond with the most or the most laid back of her companions.Give her a vetbed(or towel) or something soft to lie on. When you pick Amber up notice if the limb and foot are hanging loose,which would be the case if there was a fracture.Have you checked the pad to see if there is any sore,or splinter?.Minor limb injuries heal themselves quite quickly.Your vet may p[rescribe Metacam which is an analgesic and antiinflammatory.

Let us know what the vet says.

Oh thanks you lot are great! I will bring her in with trixie her sister and keep an eye. I have checked the paw and she isnt in pain when I touch it and there is nothing in the pad, she is still limping about and eating, she seems quite bright when I got in the run with them she sat next to me and let me stroke her something she doesnt really allow me to do unless she is put on my lap the others are getting a little concerned about her now :( Will let you know how the vets goes, I am soooooo worried I hope she will be ok :( Thanks again I dont know what I would do with out you lot! ;)

Try not to worry,I am sure she will be fine.I have had pigs with leg injuries and they have regained full mobility within a week.

Me too, its great to know if you have a problem there's loads of nice people here that can help! Like when Jeremy ate a ribbon on a Sunday and I was panicking as the vets was closed! Naughty boy.

maryh said:
Try not to worry,I am sure she will be fine.I have had pigs with leg injuries and they have regained full mobility within a week.

That makes me fell a lot better :) I hope its just a sprain. I have her and trixie in the smaller hospital cage this evening as i dont want her running up and down the bigger one, they have been in the garden all afternoon so they should be ok. She is still holding it up and is looking a little weary bless her will let u know tomorrow how she is :(

Good Luck at the vets tomorrow. My Frank had a limp a couple of times & the vet thought it was arthritis. He had some metacam & that did the trick.

off to the vets now she is still eating but staying under bridge and not moving about as much :( will let you know as soon as I get back!

Re: URGENT HELP! Update

back , Amber has torn her pads both of them one worse than the other :'( :'( I wouldnt have noticed and it took the vet a while to see it as it is almost cut behind the pad and you can pull it forward if you get what I mean. Luckily we have caught it just in time they arent infected just sore and the vet said she doesnt think the feet or leg is broken just very very sore :( . This has been her first visit to the vets and she was so well behaved as long as I held her :) I have some fuciderm Gel to apply 2 times a day it has antibiotic in it and antiinflamatory I have to go back next week for a check up.

I have to say my vet is great with piggies she seems to really know her business and gave Amber a thoura check, she also made sure I have a appointment when she is next in :) So fingers and paws crossed Amber will get better soon!!

Thanks again you guys O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Glad to hear Amber got on ok at the vet and it sounds as if you caught things early. Hope she improves now you have some ointment to treat the foot with. It's also good that you have a piggy friendly vet O0

ooooh ow! Sounds painful - poor little love. Glad nothing is broken though.  O0
Your vet sounds great - nice when they know how to deal with guinea's properly. Some dont have a clue! More used to dealing with dogs and cats. ::)

If you have a Waitrose near you,get a jar of their own make Baby Bottom Butter,strange name I know,but I use it for my piggies with sore feet and it works well.Smells nice too. After you have applied the Fuciderm,give it time to soak in,then smear some of the baby cream over the pad.This will act as a barrier against urine and other dirt.Will help to prevent the sores getting infected.
When any of my pigs have sores or wounds I give them 1 drop of Abidec per day untill the sore has healed.The extra vitimins will help boost the immune system and therefore hasten healing.

Hugs to Amber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back