• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Upset Pig? Advice Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi there,

We've been away for 5 days visiting my parents and left our guinea pig in the care of the neighbours (who have two guinea pigs and two rats themselves). Had a call saying he had a cut on his back and looked like he'd scratched himself. On our return which was around 1.30am, our pig was curled up in the corner of cage and didn't popcorn or greet us like he would normally. Today I checked his back and there is a hairless V-shape kinda scabbed over. I was quite shocked actually. My neighbour who has two pigs herself, very kindly bathed the area with boiled and cooled water and applied some cream to the area and seems to be looking better. She says it might be because he misses us? I've noticed he's subdued and he hasn't squeaked once yet. He seems to be eating ok, I fed him a tiny piece of apple and a bit of tomato. He's usually quite active around his cage in the day but he seemed to be staying in his house a lot so I have taken it out. He is lay behind the picture frame at the moment. I feel quite bad for leaving him now :(.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Or have any advice?

Thanks x

Wow quick reply! I could take him to the vet but I don't want to take him unecessarily as it will be stressful for him. I can't see any bugs on him. I thought since we'd been away he might've missed our company.

x

I should mention that he's been in our flat by himself while we've been away and the neighbours have been popping over to let him out and to feed him, so he hasn't had my boyfriend and I around him as usual.

Hi,

My youngest pig has mites and I've seen none on him either. He had a red sore looking patch on him where he had been scratching himself. It still could be mites. I'd whizz him up to the vet just to be sure he is ok.

Let us know how he is,

Louise

I have seen this v shape baldness before.It is caused by mites Get some melts and shampoos from Gorgeous Guineas.

An email to Chrissie will get you the rght product.

[email protected]

Mites cannot be seen by the human eye.

The condition you describe is often caused by stress which would tie in with him missing you.Give him lots of extra attention and get him treated with a gg product,and he will be fine.

If he has a V shape it does sound like classic mites. Stress or a bit under the weather can bring it out.

GG products are great but also consider ivomec treatment. You can get injections from vets or you can get oral ivomec too. Pm me if you want to know where to get from.

Hope your piggie is feeling better soon.

If you buy Ivomec off the internet make sure its the right strength, some claiming to be for guinea pigs are to weak. In fact most of the guinea pig ones are wrong...

Get some Kamilosan to relieve the itching while you wait for Chrissie's products, she despatches fast but you can't rely on Mr Royal Mail at the moment because of the strikes and previous back logs ::) I would go to the vet and get an immediate Ivomec treatment (oral) and treat with creams every few hours as needed, you'll be able to tell when it wears off because she'll start scratching again. CocoNeem melt is good, and a cream would be nice and soothing for the cut :) Manuka and Neem is a good one to use with CocNeem.

Hi everyone and thank you for your kind messages. :)

I've been bathing Bungle's patch with boiled and cooled water with some tea tree and lavender added. I moved his cage in my bedroom last night so he could see where I was. I don't think his patch is sore as it's not as red now and when I gently apply pressure he doesn't do anything so the bathing must be helping some. I am going to see how it goes and if need be take him to the vets before I treat him for mites. I don't want to treat him for something he might not have if you know what I mean. He's not sratching more than usual to be honest so I don't know. His patch is mainly a dark brown which is the colour of his skin. He is a brown agouti I think!

Thanks for all your advice, it's much appreciated :)

Hi & welcome :)

Glad to hear Bungles patch is looking less sore & he isn't scratching too much. O0

Being social animals & with having very little company while you were away, it sounds like he missed you badly & was bored so maybe that is why he started to scratch? :-\

I know poor little babes. He is much more spritely lately and has even done a few mini popcorns! His patch is getting darker which is good because he has dark skin. I can't believe he missed us that much beause he's quite a wild pig. He doesn't really like to be held but since we got back he has been letting us hold him for a while. He peed on my neighbour last night hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back