Update: So far, so good!

Autonerd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've posted anything here, because I haven't had any questions, but I thought I'd give an update as to how things are going.

Short version: Very well!

Long version: Our boys are settled into their C&C cage. They seem very happy. Lots of running, lots of popcorning, no signs of social problems or fighting that I can see.

We experimented with orchard grass as ground cover, and they delighted in pushing it into piles and burrowing into it. So much for even cover. Last week we cut up one of those U-Haul furniture pads and put that at the bottom of the cage. The velcro on my fold-over hidey sticks to the blanket. It made cleaning easier, that's for sure! I now put the blanket down, then a couple piles of orchard grass. I put paper substrate only in the areas of the hide where they like to pee and poop.

We are using an open tray for timothy hay, which they like to hop in or tip over. (One evening I found the tray upside-down and Twinkie underneath. He did not seem to be the least bit upset.) By the end of the week, when it's time for a big clean, they've got a good layer of hay underfoot. I'd like to replace the tray with a hay rack as it gives us a better idea of when they've gone through the hay and frees up more floor space, I tried adopting my old one but it was too high up and the GPs didn't use it.

I worry about crowding the cage with too much stuff but they like moving stuff, zig-zagging around it or climbing on top. The two soft, small, round hides have been perfect for sleeping. Also good for getting the piggies out so we can clean the cage... well, Oreo, at least. I toss in some carrot, he goes in and I lift him out. For Twinkie, I just take everything out and unfold the coroplast hide at the end of the cage. He'll hop into the last hide left and away we go. We have a dog carrier that came with the small dog (which we've never needed for him) and we use that as temporary digs while we clean. Er, while *I* clean.

The owner of the ranch decided she wanted to grow kale in her little organic garden, then realized she hates it. (I agree -- whoever decided kale was good for salads was a jerk.) So we have a (temporary) supply of fresh kale which the piggies love.

Back to hay: we're now using the same timothy hay we get for the horse. We pull off a flake or two, stuff it into a little barrel and bring that home. It's about one-tenth the cost of a bag. The horse goes through it pretty rapidly so we always have a fresh supply. I don't know how long a bale would last someone who just has guinea pigs, if it would dry out too soon, but it's worth considering if you have the space.

I built zig-zag-shape legs out of cage panels. It's high enough off the ground so that we don't need a lid. The big dog still shows some interest in the pigs, so we clear off a chair and let her climb up and watch them from time to time. She's fascinated and they don't seem to mind. When we're done, we move or cover the chair so she can't get up. She's made no effort to jump up on the cage (it wouldn't be comfy for her paws) and she's less curious than when we first got them. As for the little dog, we don't think he could be any *less* interested in the guinea pigs.

Our next concern is toenail clipping -- might take them to LA GP rescue or do it ourselves (we do little dog's toenails and my wife is familiar with the procedure -- I don't have the stomach for it). We also need to work on getting them out daily into some sort of dog-proof play-structure. That requires a little more clearing of space in our little apartment. Oreo is somewhat OK with being handled and even likes to be pet -- he's the braver and bolder of the two. Twinkie is not as comfortable with handling, so we'll have to see how that evolves.

The air purifier is great -- no smell. We realized this when we once (accidentally) turned it off for a couple of days. Smartest $160 we spent on the piggies.

Most importantly, the guinea pigs have made the quality of our life SO much better. My wife is not a morning person, but she really enjoys seeing them first thing (and they enjoy seeing her). We love the noises they make, the life they bring to the house, their curiosity, their sheer cuteness. Outside of the dogs, I've never enjoyed a pet this much.

THANK YOU EVERYONE HERE who helped with my questions, and will continue to help in the future. This place is such a great resource!

pigs1220.webp

Aaron

They’ve settled in really well which is fab! One thing I would say is to be careful how much kale you feed. It’s high in calcium so shouldn’t be more than once a week. How old are they now?

Thank you so much for coming back and giving us an update. It’s so lovely to hear things that are going so well. I genuinely believe that piggies make great pets for adults. They are very interesting and interested (nosey) creatures and their antics keep us entertained for sure.
@Siikibam is right about kale. Although they love it, it is high in calcium and an excess of it can cause bladder issues and stones long term, but an occasional treat of it does no harm and wins you furry friends!

Lovely to see your update Aaron, I'm so pleased you and the piggies are getting on so well. Next time you are over LAGPR way and they are open (Saturdays) have a look at the hay racks Saskia has designed one of those may suit your piggies. They also sell them on Amazon I believe.

Hubs is always pleased to see posts from a bloke enjoying guinea-pigs - I think he was a bit embarrassed at first that he found ours so entertaining! Thanks for flying the flag for the Guinea-pig guys ☺

One thing I would say is to be careful how much kale you feed. It’s high in calcium so shouldn’t be more than once a week. How old are they now?
I did not know that! We'll slow down the kale feeding. Thank you. No idea how old they are... Best guess is the last owners got them about a year ago, maybe a little less.

Yes, kale, parsley, spinach, rocket are all high calcium veggies and should not be fed in quantities - one small amount, once per week is plenty.

Back