Update on puppy and guinea pig co-living

TinaY

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all! Just wanted to update everyone. In November we got a puppy as an addition to our fur family of two piggies Donuts and Buckets and I was so worried how will I protect the piggies and make them comfortable. To make everything worse, Donuts bit Buckets bloody just 2 days before the puppy arrived. Super complicated logistics now...

Fast forward a few months, after gradual and consistent training, this is their morning routine. The puppy (her name is Lady and she is now 7 months) runs to the cage each morning (first thing she does when she gets out of bed) and everyone begs for veggies and hay :lol!: and we together refill their bottles and so on. It is fair to say that she has ZERO hunting instinct, even lets birds outside eat her food. Very relieved!

IMG_6045.webp

I’m pleased you made it work for. Your fur family is gorgeous. 😍

I’m so glad you came up with a solution and that everyone is happy. They’re all gorgeous 😍
Thank you! 💕I think it is partially the dog's temperament and partially the actual training. A bit of luck needed. I took it veeery slow and even had a second fence around the cage for 2 months until I was sure I can control the situation and trust the puppy. Now the puppy got used to them squeaking, jumping, running, making noises, chewing on the panels and she doesn't find it odd, she's seen it all so nothing to get excited about 😆. But oh, she gets so super happy, her tail wags like crazy, when the piggies approach her on their own and then she tries to lick them through the panels, super cute. I think she thinks Donuts and Buckets are mini dogs😅.

If there is any interest for this forum that I write about how I trained my puppy, I am happy to provide that. I am in no way a professional, would share just as a personal experience if it helps anyone since I had gotten so much help from everyone here and I want to give back somehow. 💗

Back