• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Update on Jeffrey...Was minor weight loss

• Thread starter Thread starter GaryandJulie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GaryandJulie

Just thought we would let the list know how Jeffrey is getting on. We posted a while ago for some advice about him losing weight..
Well....He has lost about another 70-80gms bringing total weight loss to about 150-180gms so we decided some action was needed, he also seemed to be a bit miserable and shivering a little. We phoned Vedra at CCT who thought it sounded like an infection of some sort so we took him over to see Gina near Warrington. Gina says he ha a minor urinary tract infection which has been caught early. It is either cystitis or possible the start of a stone as he was a 'little gritty'. So we now have the fun of giving him anti inflammatories and antibiotics! Gina has also recommended increasing his water which we syringe him from 20ml to 40ml a day. Hopefully this should do the trick, we have already noticed an improvement so fingers crossed. Gina said with catching it early and him still being a good weight he should be OK.
Thanks again to all members who gave advice regarding his weight loss.
Gary & Julie
......AND Jasper and Jeffrey

:) Now he has been diagnosed I have sent an email with attachment from a CCT member's experience. Please consult Gina before you act on anything- if indeed you need to.

Thank you Karen, we have emailed you.
One very useful thing we have taken from your email was diluted Cow & Gate baby juices as a useful drink with a nice acidic Ph.
Gary & Julie
:)
and ....Jasper and a grumpy Jeffrey >:( 'cause I don't like syringes down my throat.... 666)

My boar used to have his drink then chew on the syringe- we got through countless syringes with him ;D ::)

That's good that you've had him diagnosed, now as you said comes the fun part with all the drugs etc..
I know Jeffrey wont enjoy his syringing but funnily enough after awhile they do get used to it, it's almost as if
they realise that it's helping them.
Good luck and give Jeffrey a big cuddle and kisses to help him get better very soon :-* :-* Kisses and cuddles to Jasper as well :-* :-*

After a week or so Jeffrey was no better and was still losing weright and squealing when passing water. There were also specks of blood in his urine. So we took him over to a recommended Vet. Ken Robinson at Rose Cottage vets. He X-rayed Jeffrey and found a stone which has now been successfully removed. Jeffrey is bounding round back to normal.. No b :)lood in urine and he has already started putting weight back on. Ken was very good and let Jasper stay with him for the couple of nights at the vets. The TOTAL bill for X ray, consulatation, med and operation was £140.00 but worth every penny. Jeffrey's little wound has healed nicely and he is back to causing all sorts of mischief. We would not hesitate to recommend Ken for anybody near the Cheshire area.

:) Glad to hear you found out what the problem was and have got it sorted. You might want to try the Uriflow now to keep him clear...

Hope all goes well, it shows the importance of correct diagnosis for our little ones...

Barbara

Jeffrey has got another stone! :-\ :-\ :-\
He has been put on a Diauretic and antibiotics and we are now syringing him 80-100ml of fuluids a day to try to help him flush it out. He goes back to the vets next week for another X-ray to see if this has worked so fingers crossed!

The vets we are using is Rose Cottage Vets near Frodsham, the vet we use is Ken Robinson. We would strongly recommend using him. For us it is 120mile round trip to take our boys there but we know they are in good hands. The nurses are also very friendly. Fingers crossed as Jeffrey goes back on Thursday for another X-ray to see how things are going. The other day he passed a stone and it cut tears in my eyes when I saw the size of the stone! I cannot begin to imagine how painful it must be! Anyway he is lapping up all the the fuss he is getting and Jasper is also looking after him. One of my brothers has suggested having a zip fitted into his belly so when he gets a stone we could just unzip him pop it out and away we go! Now too sure about this idea though.... :-\

I think a zip is a fab ideas for the boys LOL! I've never heard of a boy passing a stone, only girls. :o Yes, you're in good hands with Ken. Is he (guinea not Ken) on the Uriflow?

We asked Ken to look into Uriflow. He said he cannot say it will work or that it wont...He said it cannot do any harm but at the prices of the medication it does seem very expensive for a maybe...We have jst gone onto the Calcium/Phosphorous ratio chart for their diet and think we will change a few things to see if that helps. If not we may try the uriflow and if so we will contact you Karen (offlist) for dosages etc...The link for the Calcium Phosphurus ratio link is:-
www.quinealynx.com/stones.html

We found this very useful. Anyway, Ken saw Jeffrey on Thursday and was pleased with progress, no X-ray given at this stage but we have to take him back in 3 weeks for an X-ray. He is still on Septrin 0.6ml a day and 0.1ml of Lasix (I think), We have found his favourite drink is warm Cranberry and Rasberry juice mixed with water....Just tepid....Somedays he is now drinking upto 120ml a day by syringe and he seems more than happy in himself....He just wants to play and haeve a fuss! Jasper just wants to sleep all the time so Jeffrey seems to amuse himself talking to Bertie the budgie. We were amazed the other day when Bertie landed on Jeffrey and was grooming him, Jeffrey seemed fine! I must stress that Bertie is in his own cage and very rarely is let out in the room with the pigs (apart from whehn he escapes). Both pigs though are fine with Bertie and often go to his cage and squeal at him and he squeals back!

Best wishes
Gary and Julie
and Jasper and Jeffrey
.....and Bertie

Well done with Jeffrey at least it's positive that he's drinking well and eating too :-* Keep us posted on his update in 3 weeks :-*

Awwww Jasper zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :smitten:

LOL amazing that Jeffrey and Bertie having chats to each other :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back