• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

update on gizmo

• Thread starter Thread starter tawny
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tawny

well i took him to the new vets and explained why i wanted a second opinion and that i didn't feel i was ready to put gizmo down as was suggested to me as i felt he still seemed to have fight in him.

obviously i explained to her that if it was in his best interest then i would do what was best for him.

she checked him over and did say that his chest was bad and that he seemed to have a lot of noise in his throat. she checked his teeth and throat and this was the first time any vet had done that.

she felt that she would't consider putting him down right now as he was lively, eating and putting up a good fight at being held :D

she left him on the same medication for next 5 days and gave me some vit c drops to boost him. i have to say i never thought about that as i thought he was getting what he needed through his veg intake, thick me :P

good news that he is still here to fight another day......

any advice or tips on how to help him over this pneumonia would be great.

thanxs to those that gave me advice and the guts to go to a different vets.

i did ask her about baby with the tilted head and she said they would be willing to check him over but couldn't promise there was any thing that could be done. i think i know nothing can be done now but it would be good to have a vet to check his teeth ect which has never been done at other vets.

Keep him warm and hydrated, give him the best chance. Fingers crossed for the little guy

All I can really say is don't give up - My guinea pig Hannah was told that her pnemonia was really bad and they showed us her x-rays which looked horrendous. Hannah recovered well after being told she didn't have much chance and is still here today - This was nearly a year a go! - Have you checked out the thread I made about Hannah and her pnuemonia? - http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=805.0

Will keep my fingers crossed for Gizmo! :)

thanxs.

gizmo is still bad but it was great tonight to see him popcorn around the floor, he looked happy :) the best i've seen him in a while.

keep those fingers crossed for us :D

I've heard some essential oils kill bacteria.. totally forgotton about it, so i just did a quick search. Oregano came up the most. Thyme and rosewood came up a lot too (there was a laboratory study with them, and they completely destroyed a bacteria which causes pneumonia). Oregano sounds pretty powerful, apparently a lot of bacteria can't survive in its presence! (This is the page i was looking at.. http://www.healthdimensions.com.au/a/192.html)

I knew i heard about it somewhere! Not sure if these would be safe around a piggy?

He could have a little spinach too (i know it's not a vege to feed piggies often, but i think nutrients would be beneficial at the moment)

Good luck with gizmo, he sounds very brave!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back